Thread: Getting Couch Through Door

Laxplaya7974 Guest

Default Getting Couch Through Door

So, I ordered a City Sofa through Duane a few weeks back. We are moved into our new townhouse now where the couch is going and I had a question of something I overlooked and hope wont be a problem. Instead of e-mailing only Duane, I decided to address to the whole board.

The city sofa is 38 in in depth, 36 in tall, and I believe 83 inches long. The sofa only has to get to the living room which is the first room when you walk into the house, but the door is 30 inches wide and 80 inches tall.

The couch is being delivered from Duane, but will this couch fit in the door??? Please let me know because I am freaking out a little that our couch wont fit now!!

Thanks!!

Default Getting a Couch through a Door

Believe it or not there is a website devoted specifically to this problem. Submit your problem, complete with couch sizes and descriptions of the entranceway and Harry Lipsky, a retired professional mover will reply quickly and tell you exactly how to get your couch through the door. He will also let you know if it can't be done. One question he always asks is "Do the legs come off?"

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Moving-Furniture-2016/

Laxplaya7974 Guest

Thank you, that is a great source! Duane, do the legs of the City Sofa come off?

Yes, the front legs can unscrew on a CITY series, but we probably won't need to do that. The 9840 sofa is very compact, and the back cushions come off which reduces the height by several inches. From there its just a matter of angling it through the doorway. I don't anticipate a problem on installation at 30" wide depending on fore/aft egress. Only once in a great while can we not get them in the door.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Laxplaya7974 Guest

oh great! That is very good to hear. I had so much trouble getting the rest of the furniture into the house while moving, I got to worrying! I cant wait for the couch!

We're pros at it......I don't foresee any issues (now watch me go an jinx the delivery)...<G>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.