Thread: H&M News June 2009

Default H&M News June 2009

Just got a huge packet in from Hancock and Moore via UPS. No price increases, so that's good! If we were to get them for the summer, they would have been in this packet.

Lots of fabric drops and fabric grade changes. New photography supplements.

In Leather, Auburn is on the way out and now only three colors remain: Bordeaux, Luggage, Navy.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

whitelm Guest

Duane, I can't figure out how to do a private message. I called yesterday about the Citizen sofa. I probably have picked out too many leather samples. I also preferred the unprotected ones - which is sad since I have children. If any of these show red in them - you could eliminate them.

Garfield Chestnut and Mocha (maybe my favorite)
    Pecos Mink
    Sonoma Chocolate
    Aged Espresso Burnished
    Stampede Harness
    Tuscany Harness

Luggage Saddle, Khaki and Russet (Russet may have red?)
    Antelope Almond
    Antelope Saddle
    Columbia Butternut
    Aspen Tobacco (may be too casual for the sofa style)
    Kipling Saddle and Sand

And in a departure, Bari Taupe.

Easy to do a Private Message, just left click on the USER NAME (in this case it would be me, DRCOLLIE) and a box opens up that says 'Send a Private Message'. CLick that and type away.

Be glad to get those samples out to you but you didn't include a mailing address!
    Duane Collie

whitelm Guest

Duane,

I got the leather samples today. My husband and I individually picked the same sample out of the pack - I am sure we will fret over it more - but it appears we will go with Luggage Saddle. Have you ever seen this? Any positive or negative comments? So a leather can be a aniline - AND protected? The runners up are Antelope Saddle and Garfield Mocha. Garfield isn't on the leather info sheets you recently posted. It feels really different from the other ones - do you know anything about it?

Oh yes, I sell quite a bit of the Luggage series, its a fantastic German leather. All my customers like it very much, and some really put it through its paces and use it hard in home theater settings. Technically its an 'unprotected' aniline leather, but practically speaking it sluffs off most everything other than heavy oils (such as motor oil, or mineral oils). H&M is very conservative on their ratings, which is done because of liability aspects. If H&M says its "Protected" its nearly bulletproof, and everything else gets the 'unprotected' label to it. Unfortunately that scares off a lot of folks from the finer hides which are perfectly fine in normal and average use. I have all 'unprotected' leathers in my home in my family room and we have never had the first stain or un-cleanable incident on our furniture, even with two kids.

Look at the Serviceability ratings on the back of the swatches. The '2's are the hard-use ones, '3''s are still fine for most normal households, and its only the '4''s that you cave to be careful with as a general rule. Of course, there are exceptions to that and no guarantees, but not a one of my Luggage customers has called with an issue since purchase and all seem to be really pleased with the leather.

Garfield is a newer Class 3 leather that came out since the book was printed up. Its an attractive leather that has the new 'soft top-coated look' to it in natural leather, very much like Antelope, but a little less glossy. Samples are just now getting to the dealers on Garfield, and I think you'll find that it will soon become one of the more popular hides once there is some exposure on it. Previously the only other leather that was like Garfield was Continental, an expensive Class 5 hide.
    Duane Collie