Thread: Are framing repairs possible?

LynW676 Guest

Question Are framing repairs possible?

Hi, I am new with no experience in this area so be patient with me...

I have a two year old stationary loveseat from Jennifer furniture, it is part of a set with two matching motion pieces in our family room.
    The furniture is out of warranty, and I noticed the other day that it felt different (too soft) when I sat. On investigation, I found that a piece of something (which I assume is broken framing) is trying to poke through the fabric on the underside of the piece.

I realize this is not high end furniture but I really like the set. I plan to contact the dealer and ask if they have someone who can come here and give me an estimate on repair.

But before I do that, is this something that really can be repaired? And if it can, is the cost so prohibitive that it isn't worth it?

I would appreciate any advice...

Welcome to the new forum! And never hesitate to ask a question of any kind, that's why this place exists.

Certainly any piece of furniture can be repaired. It really gets to be a cost/benefit issue and there is a point of diminishing returns. If you like the set you have, and its only two years old, I think its worthwhile to explore the repair option. Don't bother calling the dealer and chances are he has no resources or referrals to do this. Find a good upholstery shop in your town and take it (or have it picked up) there. They can get to the internals of the piece pretty quickly and give you an estimate of repair. In most cases I would not think something like that to be hugely expensive. Probably $ 100 or less is my guess.

Let us know how it turns out!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

fixerupper Guest

Smile Yes

I do repairs like this all the time. It all depends on what the problem is -- it can be as simple as a sinuous spring clip breaking or a board (lumber or more likely, if it's broken, plywood or particle board) breaking or coming loose at a joint.

Either of these repairs run an hour or so.

I just find it tough to make a go of it to have to have an hour on the road, spend 20 minutes or so in diagnosis, then give an estimate to have it declined or "think about it." In other words, be prepared to spend $100 to $150 for repairs. If it's not worth that, be kind to your repair person.