Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hancock & Moore Desk Chair: $600???

organic_smallhome Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Interesting! I have to say, I'm not really sure. All brass can be cleaned up, its just a matter of how hard it will be. If its coated, its going to be hard to do. If uncoated, much easier. In any case, the brass cleaner will damage the leather so one has to have a very fine steady hand or else I would remove the brads (half dozen at a time) and polish them off the chair - or simply replace them with new.
    It's kind of odd that it's just a certain section of the brads that oxidized, don't you think? Is it easy to take them off and put them back on? Does H&M offer replacement brads? A quandary.

Yes, that's very odd to see that one section like that. In my experience, thats the result of a spill of some kind that was not cleaned up, then put in storage? Very strange. You can pop the brads off easily with a screwdriver and pliers, H&M would have replacements pretty inexpensively, I'm sure.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

My3dogs Guest

Thanks VERY much to both Duane and 'organic smallhome'! I am the grateful friend, who was interested in the chair . She bought it, thought it was too large for her study, but it'll be perfect for my home office where I spend MANY hours each day working from home.

I can also thank her for pointing out this H&M Kent Chesterfield sofa that I bought last October from Craigslist for $1000. The owners were moving to Switzerland, and selling off the contents of their home in NH. All of their pieces were quality and beautiful.

The sofa was in showroom condition, and I adore it. My three dogs enjoy it too (covered with a throw) but I have found that they cannot scratch the leather! It's a thrill to own these beautiful pieces, and 'OSH' is the reason why I can!

I have screwdrivers and pliers and will enjoy making this chair's nail heads come back to their original beauty.

But if that proves problematic, is there an address to contact H&M to purchase replacements? Would I need to go through a dealer, and could that be you, Duane? I'm in Maine. I'd match them to the chart you have posted above so we know exactly which ones they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CL Hancock Moore Kent sofa 001 (Small).jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	377  

Yes, you need to go through a dealer of some sort. That appears to be the standard "A" nail and just count up how many you need, plus a few spares. I'd be more inclined to replace them rather than polish - i can't imagine they would be very expensive, though I've never had to source some.
    Duane Collie

My3dogs Guest

Duane, I'd love to go through you, since you seem to be very close to H&M. I know I'd be assured of getting them if I buy them through you. I'd also like to order one of your leather cleaning kits that I have seen mentioned here for $29.95 plus shipping.

I think I would want to order a couple of dozen of the nail heads (24) to be on the safe side. Could I impose upon you to get a price and add them to the cleaning kit and give me the total?

My pal Pam down at H&M is going to just give us two dozen 'A' nails and mail them up to me free of charge. I'll put them in the package with the leather cleaner after they get here. Just PM me with your name and address, and figure $ 36.00 total with shipping.
    Duane Collie

My3dogs Guest

Thanks again - You're an H&M hero! I just sent a PM with the shipping info.

My3dogs Guest

My butt and back feel like they are in HEAVEN! Going from the standard Staples leather 'executive chair' to a leather beauty made by Kimball Office products that I also bought on Craigslist was nice, but to sit in this Berwind chair ...I just hope I don't doze off in total comfort when I am supposed to be working.

Do you have any idea what leather this chair may be made in? I assume it is a 'standard' offering, perhaps when it's brought in to be on a show room floor for display. There is a sample stitched into the chair deck under the cushion, but no mention of type and color. I can tell you that it doesn't scratch, and feels quite thick.

Just curious, I know the chair could be sold in any leather the client wants, but what might the range be for the Berwind chair sold for in your store? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M office chair leather 001 (Small).jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M office chair leather 002 (Small).jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	386  

There is a difference, eh? One you own an H&M product, you're pretty well spoiled to the brand in that category. Notice how deeps the tufts are in an H&M piece? They put in extra quilting in the 'diamonds' that other makers leave out. No one hand-tufts like H&M.

That leather looks to be Berkshire Tobacco, a class 2 hide.
    Duane Collie

patrol Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Desk Chair: $600???

Name:  00e0e_cD4q8a5IUO8_50x50c.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  995 Bytes Just snagged one of these off craigslist for $300. Needs a little work on the arms where it tucked under the desk, but otherwise looks like it's never been sat in!!! I'm so happy-- I sit in my work chair 8-10 hours per day! The receipt from 2002 said $1900