Thread: Searching for a high-in, super comfy, deep sofa - frustrated and discouraged

lcbaker1 Guest

Red face Searching for a high-in, super comfy, deep sofa - frustrated and discouraged

I have been searching for a high quality sectional sofa with chaise, etc.. for a year, each week I get even more confused. For a while I was thinking about RC sofa, until I realized it constructed with sinuous wire spring instead of 8 way hand tied, and not near as comfy as I first thought. I went into yet another furniture store to rethink my choices. I was told the Century was the high-in Rolls Royce of sofa's then the Hancock and Moore, Marge Carson, Stickly, Huntington House. However, I was a little, no, a lot discourage, near tears. The designer literally started writing up an order form before showing me any other sofa besides the Century. I was describing what I wanted a high quality, well contructed, deep, super comfortable, never want to get out of, sectional with chaise. I don't know much about sofas but I have learned a little over the months of testing, lounging, researching, running around San Diego and LA. I want deep seats, I have tall young adults in my home (5'11"-6'6"), I want comfort, extremely well constructed, high-in 8 way hand tied, solid wood construction, and please not reclining (I have a theater room). She actually filled out the order form for the Century that you can build, yet the depth of the sofa was ONLY 41 inches, only 2 arm rests, 3 back cushions, etc..to choose from. I asked if this was the only Century sofa available and she mention, well there are others in the book, but way too expensive. How funny, since I never mentioned a price range. I asked if they have deeper sofas (other brands and Century), she did not know and continued to write up the order form. I haven't even decided on whether I truly want leather again (more practical) or fabric, which seem to be more comfortable (soft), but so worried about the stains, wear and oh boy, I think the kids (my big kids) will destroy my lifetime couch. I don't know what to do, where to look (brand) or where to go from here, I am back to the beginning, yet again.

Default Re: Searching for a high-in, super comfy, deep sofa - frustrated and discouraged

Ahhhh...you just need the RIGHT person to guide you, not someone with an order form in their hand. That comes at the end, not the beginning.

The basics though:

1) Budget range for this project? Solid wood frame limits you to a few high-end makers. Over 90% of the industry is using plywood (i.e., Engineered Hardwoods). If you really want solid wood frames, this will be around a five figure project.

2) Components. You can build a sectional a lot of ways. For starters, look at this link and tell us the pieces in your build. Doesn't have to be Taylor King, its just they have a good schematic.

https://www.taylorking.com/ecatalog/index.html#/276/

I'm a Century dealer as well - they have different levels of build quality. Only their SIGNATURE line is solid wood frames, the other ones are Plywood. Just an FYI.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

microX Guest

Default Re: Searching for a high-in, super comfy, deep sofa - frustrated and discouraged

With the majority of the industry using plywood now, are all plywood frames created equal?

They are not. Some of the joinery out there is absolutely awful, using staples and plastic blocks. Its not the wood that is so much the key, but how you hold it all together (joinery).

Here's the Taylor King Cutaway which is a combo of solids and plywoods:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK5.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	9244

The solid maple frame of Hancock and Moore is incredible, for example - look at the cutaway I have for my store, this is why H&M costs what it does:

Name:	CA1.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	9245

And this is what you don't want. Total landfill garbage. Yes, that is cardboard covering the left arm. This is your typical import build.

Name:	05513867a1b0f1f32cf44d8f6f716a92.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	9243
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.