Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&M vs. B-Y sectional

vcarnes Guest

Default H&M vs. B-Y sectional

Hello! Brand new to the the forum. Thanks all for the wonderful information. I'm looking to purchase a new sectional and think I've narrowed it down to Hancock & Moore (Wrangler) or B-Y (Daylen). I have a huge family room so looking for bigger/deeper sectional. Any advice on one over the other? Also, in terms of the leather, I love the Class 3 Hand Antique Saddle, Buckingham Walnut Burnished, and Weston Sunrise Burnished, but haven't ordered swatches yet. Any thoughts? I'm looking for a rich look. My kids are all older (over 14) so I'm not too worried about stains, etc. Thanks!

Default Re: H&M vs. B-Y sectional

There is quite a large difference in the products, and a price difference as well. I don't consider them direct competitors any more than Chevrolet is a competitor with Mercedes Benz. There are many, many build differences and on average the B-Y line will be 25% to 30% less in price than H&M, and they take 25% to 30% out of the build as well. H&M sectionals can be pricey (most approach 5 digits in price in lower grade leathers), however the Hancock and Moore product is also the gold standard in the industry in leather furniture. I don't have time to list all the differences right now, but if you have specific questions - fire away.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

vcarnes Guest

I like the Wrangler better. Do you know what leather they are showing on the H&M Campaign sectional on the H&M website?

Quote Originally Posted by vcarnes View Post
    I like the Wrangler better. Do you know what leather they are showing on the H&M Campaign sectional on the H&M website?
    Could be Document Tobacco, however I'm not really sure.
    Duane Collie

There is nothing like an H&M piece if you are looking for outstanding style and quality. The leathers you mention are gorgeous but you may find it difficult to tell from the swatch. B-Y also offers very nice leather furniture, but not in the same league as H&M. You would not be displeased with the products of either company vs. a lot of other manufacturers

vcarnes Guest

Thank you! Duane - I just received my swatches. Although I love the softness of the Capri, I am drawn to the more interesting "look" of the Tuscany Harness, but it has some red tones to it and I was looking for more of a brown like the capri with shading, markings, etc. I just saw a picture on this forum of a sofa in Tiburon Java and I absolutely love it (at least the picture of it) and can imagine it aging even more beautifully. Do you think it would work well on the H&M Wrangler sectional? I read in one post you wrote that the pull-ups do better on tufted furniture (like the Heirloom Chestnut that I liked). Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

vcarnes Guest

One more quick comment - my main concern with the Tiburon/Tuscany Harness is that the "interesting" look that I love will be too much on such a large piece of furniture. So, the alternative I was considering is the Wade Coffee that you recommended. It's the perfect color and is really soft, but I couldn't find any pictures of it on the forum and can't tell if it is pretty uniform or if it has some shading/distressed look on piece of furniture. Thanks!

I find (personally) that the big pull-ups like Tiburon and Tuscany are terrific on smaller pieces like chairs, ottomans, loveseats, etc., but they can be a little over the top on sectionals and large sofas. The look is great, however they are not as soft as some other leathers and large sectionals we generally want to be cozy-up inviting. For that reason, I'd tend to go with a softer, more plush hide such as the Capri or the Wade.

Wade is a new leather, introduced in Spring 2016, so it's just now hitting stores with dealer swatches that arrived just before Thanksgiving (that's what I sent to you one of two dealer samples of the new leathers that was sent to the store). For that reason, until customers start buying it, you won't see a lot of exposure or images of it on pieces. It's a terrific leather, however. 90% of Capri at 20% less price.

You will likely get an ottoman at some point for the sectional, that's where you can use the pull-up leather and have it look a little different than the sectional. The 072 Campaign in Tuscany Harness is in the Town and Country promo, and I think one of the best in the line - at an aggressive price point. I have one in my own home you can see here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...es-to-my-house
    Duane Collie

vcarnes Guest

Thanks - that makes sense. Does the Wade coffee have any variations of shade in it? It looks like it might have a bit more than the Capri, but hard to tell from the swatch. Would you recommend the ultra down with the Wade Coffee?

vcarnes Guest

I think I'm down to between the Wade coffee and the Sahara Mocha Burnished. Would I have the same issue with the burnished being too much for such a large sectional?