Wow! What a day... I normally don't do Sunday deliveries, but because of the Tropical Storm coming through the area yesterday we had to cancel our normal Saturday deliveries and my regular guys were not available today. So I grabbed my son and we set off to do them.

Our first stop was 45 minutes down the highway and we had a beautiful Hancock and Moore Cabo sofa to place in the house. Normally a sofa delivery takes about 10 minutes when egress is good, but today we were there an hour and a half struggling to get clearance through the doorway and taking off doors and components as much as we could. In the end, we needed one more inch on the door and just couldn't get it in the house. Back on the truck it went, and my customer - who really wanted that sofa - was very dissappointed. I felt bad that we couldn't get it in, and knew at first glance it was going to be a challenge. I stayed the hour and a half because they were every nice folks and really wanted the piece. I tried all the tricks in the book but bumped up against the Laws of Physics.

Its a fine line with a new leather sofa. On upholstery pieces, you can sometimes 'shove' them through the door jambs as fabric has give to it, and will slide. Leather however, does not and it will scratch. So we have to allow for a clean fit through the jambs or risk damaging the piece.

This is not an uncommon occurence. We run into tight door deliveries on a regular basis, and anything under 32" in width (unemcumbered by storm doors, etc) can be challenging.

Options for my customer are to either have a new, larger door installed (not as expensive as one might think) or re-select a smaller sofa. It's tough when they don't fit and everyone is dissapointed.