Thread: H & M loungers and sofa

rosemiller Guest

Default H & M loungers and sofa

Finding the right furniture for our very used family room is being difficult. Have found some pieces but not the more contempory ones we are leaning toward. Considering the Restoration sofa and lounger (2), or possibly the Lennon sofa and chairs and an ottoman, also considering the Metro.
    Space is somewhat limited. I am 5'1" and my husband is 5'9". We really want something comfortable and the chair or lounger must be were I can sit and use the laptop and my elbows be able to type comfortably. OR what about Diovan. Any suggestions?

The other issue I am struggling with is whether to go with all leather and part leather and part fabric. Seems leather lasts longer from what many say.
    Any input with the fabric on H & M. It is possible the 2 chairs/lounger may be beside each other.

Last with leather, does anyone have pictures or input with the lighter colors of leather. We have always had light colored leather. Our walls are light beige and we are getting ready to put in hardwood oak to match the dining room which will be medium red oak (?gunstock). But then the darker colors look pretty with the walls but wonder if will darkened the room too much.

Any input is appreciated. Also thanks Duane for the emails. You are very knowledgeable and I value your input. I may be needing you.
    Thanks.

I answered most in a private email...

Leather will outlast fabric by a factor of 4 to 1. Fabric durability is determined by the Weisenbeck rating, the number of rubs that a material can tolerate before it shows wear. All mills have the rating available, but its never on the makers fabric samples, H&M's or others. As a general rule, wovens and chenilles are the most durable in blended fabrics. Olefin-based fabrics can probably survive a war, but are so stiff and scratchy that no one wants to use 100 % olefin.

Photos are on the PHOTO RESOURCES section attached to this forum.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

rosemiller Guest

Thanks Duane. Being new to this site, I am having difficulty finding the photo resources section.

Its attached to the LEATHER forum (at the top of the forum, you will see the sub-forum).

Here's the shortcut:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37
    Duane Collie

rosemiller Guest

Default Hancock and Moore sofa and loungers

WE are now considering 2 sofas vs a sofa and 2 loungers for the family room. I really should send some pictures to help you see the room but that will have to come later.

We are still looking at the Restoration sofa (?lounger) and considering the Metro. Appears the Metro is 20" deep vs 22" for the Restoration. Have been unable to sit on neither. I am even considering sending my husband 6 hours away to try it out. Obviously he would love to avoid that drive. An understatement. Does these appear too blah? I do want simple lines.

Also we looked at some leather samples yesterday. After reading some of the postings here, I am leaning less toward the Document. I do not personally care for the mottled look. Also I want something protected and for lots of use in the family room being on the laptop or TV watching. Could you give me some input on some of the leathers?

I like the Antelope Nugget (grade 3 though). What is the price in the Restoraion Sofa and lounger in this. Also the metro.

Probably like as well Columbia Molasses and Butternut. (class 1). Could I get a price on this in the sofas. Since I like it about as much, I feel I should consider it.

The cavalier mocha and molasses is also nice.

It appears the Metro T & C is the berkshire harness (I think) and we also like it. How do you like it. It does appear more pebbled too. Price here on Metro please.

If we were to go with a light color vs the dark, a possibility is caress parchment. (gr 2) . It does seem more pebbled on the sample.
    I don't care for a lot of sheen which I don't think any of these have.

Also any feelings on the metro vs the restoration with the different backs.

How long would it likely take once the order is placed. The local rep said he has ordered something from H & M and it has been 16 weeks. We cannot wait that long. We are living like we are in college again. Would 2 sofas be about same cost as sofa and 2 loungers?

Thanks. rose

Two sofas or (1) sofa and (2) Lounger is pretty common. No right or wrong, a lot depends on how much you watch TV in the room. If its heavy TV use, then loungers seem to be the most popular.

Restoration and Metro have very similar seating comfort, at least to me. I actually like both frames on those sofas, and can't say that I have a favorite of the two. I find both are MORE comfortable than you would think from looking at the photos, just realize they are not high enough in the back to support anyones head, they stop at the shoulders.

My feelings on Document are well-known. Great value leather in Town and Country, but I think its over-worked and over-processed. its like slice of Kraft American Cheese in the plastic, vs. real Wisconsin sharp Cheddar from the deli. No one in the trade buys Document we buy 'real' leathers that have marks and scars and fat wrinkles in the hides. However, if you are on a budget, and its in the T*C program, it will save a lot of money. These pieces are built to last - so whatever you choose try to select something you will want to look at for the next twenty years.

Caress is flat sheen, and virtually monochromatic. No shadows or special effects. Good hand on it! Berkshire is pebbly. I have it in my house on an office chair. As long as you don't mind the pebbly effect, its a good leather. Caress is NOT pebbly, you just had a sample cut from the wrinkled area of the cow, that won't find its way into production.

Price structure:

# 4275 Restoration Sofa
    Town and Country (Fenway Saddle) $ 2,526
    Class 1: $ 2,387
    Class 2: $ 2,773
    Class 3: $ 2,999
    Class 4: $ 3,611

# 4390 Metro Sofa
    Town and Country (Berkshire Harness or Tobacco) $ 2,127
    Class 1: $ 2,434
    Class 2: $ 2,893
    Class 3: $ 3,165
    Class 4: $ 3,884

Delivery additional. Those prices (above) expire 07/31/09 and will be higher beginning on August 1st.

Delivery time depends entirely on if the hide is in-stock. If it is, I can get it built in as little as 4 weeks. Transit time depends on where you live after that. If the leather is out-of-stock, then 16 weeks can be a good number. If you want it sooner than later, be sure to pick out at least three hides you would like and then I can check on them.
    Duane Collie

rosemiller Guest

Default Restoration, Metro and Lena, Lennon

Hi Duane. Just when I think I am getting closer I read something else and start to rethink. Have you seen the Lena sofa and how do you like it compared to the Restoration or Metro or even Lennon.
    Have seem only the Lennon chair (little small seeming) although I have limited space. What are the prices on Lena?
    Thanks for your information.

I may get you to check on time frames for several different leathers.

The Lena sofa I am not familiar with in person, sorry. All I would be able to do on that one is dimension compare. Prices will be similar to the others previously quoted.
    Duane Collie