Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision time for H & M chair and ottoman

bikerboy Guest

Default Decision time for H & M chair and ottoman

Duane,

I talked with you last week about possibly purchasing an H & M Austin high back, tilt back chair in Document Chestnut. We live in Tulsa, Ok, and I have a couple of questions/issues.

1. Why should I buy from you? Kinda blunt, but I have never purchased furniture online, and have some misgivings. I like your blog, the fact that you are a "small guy" in the biz, and your manner. You seem honest, and I have checked you out with H & M, and they report that their relationship with you has been very positive. I guess I need a little reinforcement, and wonder what I can expect from you.
    2. Your delivery service, you mentioned, does not deliver to Oklahoma. You had another resource. What can I expect from them, and if there are problems, who do I deal with...you or them. I understand that they are an independent carrier, and I pay them, but do you act as an intermediary?

Kinda "nebulous" stuff, but I am trying to get my comfort level up. If you can shed any further light on how you operate, it would be appreciated. I just don't like any surprises. Thanks for your input.

Laxplaya7974 Guest

There will probably be many people who chime in on this, but I purchased an H & M City Sofa from Duane and have been very happy with the result. From the beginning Duane has been professional and knowledgble. I even had a problem with my Sofa's order time because H&M was sold out of the type of leather we ordered and because we specified a date that I wanted it, we were not informed until a week before it was suppose to get to me. Duane was able to come up with a solution that worked well and only meant that my couch would be 2 weeks late instead of about 2 months late that H&M said it would be.

In short, I would recommend Duane in a heartbeat and, in fact, ordered a coffee table through his store as well.

bikerboy... Certainly it's a difficult decision to work with someone you've never met, particularly over the internet. I have however met Duane and visited his store in Virginia many times. I have purchased leather furniture from him and he has handled some customer service issues for me for some furniture from H&M where he was not the original merchant. My wife and I are traveling to his store today (about 1 hour trip) to make another purchase (H&M sofa and chair) although there are other dealers for this furniture much closer to our home.
    Along with others on this forum I would highly recommend Duane and The Keeping Room as the best furniture merchant I have ever dealt with and one fine gentleman. This is not a questionable internet source that has no real interest in customers or his reputation. This is a man and business that has supplied furniture to the White House, to a major motion picture studio for use in the movie "The Patriot", and for scores of happy customers. He provides education for consumers to allow for informed decisions. He deals with quality suppliers and drops lines of furniture that do not offer quality at fair prices. He is competitive in pricing while at the same time a leader in service to his customers. I highly recommend Duane as a first choice for any furniture lines that his company represents.
    If you would like to discuss this further in private please send a personal message and i will send you my phone number and e-mail address.

Best thing I can tell you is to ask around and see what other customer's experiences are. And read this link, as it pretty much tells it like it is on buying local vs long distance:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=244

As to shipping, I have a new carrier running West who should be MUCH quicker than the one I have been previously using. I called him after we spoke and he uses Texas rates for anything in Oklahoma. That's why I didn't have a ready reply, I am in the middle of changing carriers and learning their system.

I can always make phone calls on a customer's behalf with delivery companies and try to light a fire under them if necessary, but of course I cannot control or determine what they will do in a given instance. Legally, you are contracting with them for a service and you and they have the primary relationship, I have a secondary position with them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cuse69 View Post
    My wife and I are traveling to his store today (about 1 hour trip) to make another purchase (H&M sofa and chair) although there are other dealers for this furniture much closer to our home..
    Thanks for your order today, Larry! We're going to doll that Grainger Tilt Back Chair up for you 'just so' with heavy duty springs, extra full cushions and get an extra 1/2" in that inside width.

My daughter (whom you got to meet) told me after you left "Dad, you need to move your store to a more upscale location. US Hwy 1 is the pits!"
    Duane Collie

Duane... It was our pleasure to work with you today. Three hours of your time is certainly real service. Tell your daughter that the rent on Rt. 1 helps to allow you to pay the tuition and other expenses for her education and your customers are happy with your location. By the way she is prettier in person than the photos of the prom you posted. She must give you great pride and sleepless nights both.

We are home now and are excited about our selections and also still somewhat torn between the Journal and Journey sofas. As you know from this afternoon we love the feel of the Journal (sitting on your showroom floor) but wished we could have had the opportunity to sit in the Journey also, since we prefer its overall style and look. We will sleep on it tonight and may call tomorrow with a change. Could you also PM me with the price of the Journey in the leather we selected (if you have the information available tonight).

Larry

Hey Larry,

I put your order in today, but we have a few days to change it if need be. Journey sofa in a Grade 3 is $ 4,249.00.

And I'm not moving! While other furniture stores are failing left and right, I'm good - in part because I'm not in the high rent district. I've seen so many furniture operations fail after an expansion. They build beautiful stores, and anticipate much higher sales volume because of it. But the reality is sales stay about the same, or just go up a few points, and now the new fancy store is a liability and drains them out of their funds. Its folly to go into debt for a new store when the sales volume is just a guess - and it ruins so many. I'll sit tight for now, been there since 1985!
    Duane Collie

Sarah Guest

I'm another online customer who has purchased furniture from Duane. I have absolutely no regrets! My order was arrived in perfect condition & I saved quite a bit of money vs. buying locally. Throughout the process, Duane was always available to answer my questions. He truly is an honest man w/ integrity. I plan to purchase more pieces from him in the future!

-Sarah

bikerboy Guest

Smile Thanks for all of the reponses to H & M chair

Sarah, et al,

I appreciate the candid feedback from customers, as well as Fearless Leader. It is obvious that Duane does good work, and I feel more comfortable with the transaction. Thanks to all of you for your input.

Mitsy Guest

Smile Duane delivers!

Just placed my first order with Duane! We’re ordering the City Sofa #9844, Loveseat #9843, and Austin swivel/recliner #3732.
    Duane has been wonderful to work with. We’ve been PM for weeks and he has quickly, patiently and expertly answered all my questions. I started out working with someone locally, their prices were much higher, I was given incorrect information and told I couldn’t do this and couldn’t have that. Duane had no problem working through the design changes I wanted to make. I’m sure he’s a busy man and yet he makes you feel as if you’re his only customer.
    Thank you Duane!