Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Persian Rug as a present

  1. #1
    Nakata Guest

    Default Persian Rug as a present

    Hello there.

    I'm glad I found this forum and it's great to be here. Soon the 50th birthday of my father-in-law is coming up. He likes Persian rugs but he was never able to afford one by himself. So with his anniversary coming up, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. Nearly everybody of the relatives likes the idea and is willing to provide some money.

    Now I spent a few hours searching online. But the more information I get, the more confused I get as well. So I stumbled across the forum and hopefully I can get some advice here. I would like to know where to buy a good (and cheap?) Persian. What are the main points we have to consider? I already read the above post about the good vs cheap rugs.

    I checked some websites for classified adds. Some offer really cheap, used ones for sale, but I'm quite sceptical. I know, when it comes down to Persian rugs, there are a lot of fake ones out there and don't want to buy a fake copy. So anybody knows some good, trusted websites?

    Right now we have a budget of about $ 2.500. Is this enough to get a real, small Persian? What size would be appropriate for this budget. Is it possible to get a good rug for that prize or is it totally unrealistic.

    Sorry for all these questions, but I don't know much about Persian Rugs. I'm just trying to get my father-in-law a nice present. So if here some experts, any feedback is highly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    14,850

    Default Re: Persian Rug as a present

    Persia is now Iran, and so if you want a genuine Persian you have to buy very costly antique ones, as reproductions (new) rugs are not available nor have been for decades from Iran. The best new rugs come out of Turkey that mimic the fine antiques. Expect to pay appx $ 90 a s.f. for something decent. There's a lot of junk out there, and old, dirty rugs on EBAY. Avoid.

    I get my rugs for my store from Woven Legends and have at least nine of these in my own home, and inventory of about ten in the store. They are correct, proper and fairly affordable for a vegetable-dyed, handmade carpet.

    www.wovenglegends.com
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

  3. #3
    Nakata Guest

    Default Re: Persian Rug as a present

    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Persia is now Iran, and so if you want a genuine Persian you have to buy very costly antique ones, as reproductions (new) rugs are not available nor have been for decades from Iran. The best new rugs come out of Turkey that mimic the fine antiques. Expect to pay appx $ 90 a s.f. for something decent. There's a lot of junk out there, and old, dirty rugs on EBAY. Avoid.

    I get my rugs for my store from Woven Legends and have at least nine of these in my own home, and inventory of about ten in the store. They are correct, proper and fairly affordable for a vegetable-dyed, handmade carpet.

    www.wovenglegends.com
    Alright, thanks. I guess Turkish is fine. And starting from $90? That is good news. I was expecting much more. I'll check out the website as well to get an idea.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    14,850

    Default Re: Persian Rug as a present

    $ 90 a SQUARE FOOT....not $ 90 per rug.

    7 ' x 9' = 63 s.f = $ 5,670.00
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

  5. #5
    Nakata Guest

    Default Re: Persian Rug as a present

    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    $ 90 a SQUARE FOOT....not $ 90 per rug.

    7 ' x 9' = 63 s.f = $ 5,670.00
    Ah, I see. That would have been too good to be true...

  6. #6
    Nakata Guest

    Default Re: Persian Rug as a present

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakata View Post
    Hello there.

    I'm glad I found this forum and it's great to be here. Soon the 50th birthday of my father-in-law is coming up. He likes Persian rugs but he was never able to afford one by himself. So with his anniversary coming up, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. Nearly everybody of the relatives likes the idea and is willing to provide some money.

    Now I spent a few hours searching online. But the more information I get, the more confused I get as well. So I stumbled across the forum and hopefully I can get some advice here. I would like to know where to buy a good (and cheap?) Persian. What are the main points we have to consider? I already read the above post about the good vs cheap rugs.

    I checked some websites for classified adds. Some offer really cheap, used ones for sale, but I'm quite sceptical. I know, when it comes down to Persian rugs, there are a lot of fake ones out there and don't want to buy a fake copy. So anybody knows some good, trusted websites?

    Right now we have a budget of about $ 2.500. Is this enough to get a real, small Persian? What size would be appropriate for this budget. Is it possible to get a good rug for that prize or is it totally unrealistic.

    Sorry for all these questions, but I don't know much about Persian Rugs. I'm just trying to get my father-in-law a nice present. So if here some experts, any feedback is highly appreciated.
    I finally found a very nice 6 x 3 KAZAK. It fits perfectly in our budget. Thanks for your help.

Similar Threads

  1. Need a last minute Christmas Present in Leather Upholstery?
    By drcollie in forum Leather Upholstery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2014, 06:21 PM
  2. Stylish Dog Beds - Persian Rug Style
    By BevoGal in forum Decorating and Layout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM
  3. World Record Price for a Persian Carpet
    By drcollie in forum Rugs and Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •