Thread: Welcome!

Default Welcome!

Some may know me from the iVillage GardenWeb forums, where I was a frequent poster. The clunkly interface on Gardenweb, coupled with the overly restrictive bias against those in the furniture trade, led me to stike out and make this new forum, which went live for the first time on July 30, 2008.

Bear with us as we tweak our forum to make it better for everyone. My friend Bobby is a computer whiz so I look to him for help and his expertise to keep us smoothly running.

As for myself, I own a small boutique furnishings store in Alexandria, VA called The Keeping Room. While my main thrust has always been USA-made solid handcrafted furnishings, in the past few years customers have been coming in asking for Leather furniture, so I've become good with that aspect of the business as well..

Hope you enjoy the new forum, and remember that without YOU posting, its just another page on the internet.

-Duane Collie
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default NICCCCCCE Forum

Duane and Bobby

Thanks for the welcome. What a great job you've done in creating this forum. I certainly hope it's a hugh success. I too am coming over from the GardenWeb, although I have had the pleasure of visiting The Keeping Room on a few occasions, meeting Duane's parents and Duane and making a purchase of a wonderful leather desk chair for my home study from the Keeping Room. What can I say, I've had a great experience with the people, the business and it's great to be treated as a appreciated customer by someone who wants my business.

That said, Duane we need a post from you and/or Bobby on what specific actions we can take to enhance and build this new forum to a critical mass.
    I think others should also chime in with their ideas.

Cuse69

Bobby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cuse69 View Post

That said, Duane we need a post from you and/or Bobby on what specific actions we can take to enhance and build this new forum to a critical mass.
    I think others should also chime in with their ideas.

Cuse69
    Great to have you here!

There's a forum at the bottom called "Feedback" for any comments and/or requests concerning the functionality of this site. Don't be shy, we like constructive criticism.

-Bobby

todd_kachadoorian Guest

Hey, the Toddfather is here too. Coming from Gardenweb, this is a vast improvement!! Things will take off once the word gets out. I am doing what I can as well. Todd.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Hi!

I was referred here by another member of the GW. I really hope this forum takes off--the web is badly in need of a furniture-only forum. I have a suggestion, fwiw: How about a category for different kinds of furniture? For example, MCM or Antique? That will draw in people with different, but very specific interests, I think.

Thanks for starting up this forum, Duane!

I'm definitely open to expanding the categories as the need arises and volume builds. Right now we have very few people posting, and so a simple, streamlined interface seems best that all fits on one page. But we can easily expand and add more if there is enough interest in a given category.

Forums like this depend on members to post to function. So please tell your friends about it and lets see some more topics develop! For now, I'll drop in an 'Everything Else' forum under furniture as sort of a catch-all place to post for things that don't work elsewhere.

Thanks for signing on....
    Duane Collie

Anthony Rogers Guest

Hello Everyone,

Thank you Duane for setting up this fine forum! I've recently bought my first home in Florida. I've been looking at options for seating. I haven't been too impressed with the quality from the chain stores in the area. I'm hoping this forum will help me get a better understanding of what to look for when choosing a piece that will last more than 5 years. I've been reading on GardenWeb and here, and it's been very helpful. Thank you all very much. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.

Best regards,
    Tony

Glad to have you join us, Tony.

The forum exists to help everyone learn about furniture and make informed buying decisions. There are so many choices out there, that it gets very confusing. It tool me twenty years in the business to learn what makes a quality piece and not a day goes by that I don't learn even more. I have failed at my job when I can't answer a question on a product I carry.

So keep the questions coming! I don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call a supplier to follow up on the questions here, and as we pick up more members our knowledge base will continue to grow.

Many thanks to Steve Oster of Oster Furniture in Morton Grove IL whom I asked to join us here and he graciously contributes.. He knows the answers to many lines and products I'm not familiar with and I'm glad to have him on board with us.
    Duane Collie