Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking info on Temple Furniture brand

Default Re: Seeking info on Temple Furniture brand

Temple is a small USA based family owned company. In short, the internal build quality is on a par with the much more expensive lines. Plywood frames...good or bad? Some a good, no great, and some are bad. While low and middle priced manufacturers use 5 and 7 ply fir plywood, Temple would deem this inadequate. Temple uses a thicker 18 ply all birch engineered wood. This is extremely high grade hardwood. Using engineered wood allows for interlocking joints that can prove to be much stronger than yesterdays corner blocking and screwing. Temple warrants the frame, along with the springs and cushions for the life of the sofa. So in short, Temple's frames are very high end.

Many brands of higher quality use the same spring and frame as Temple, and usually they are higher priced. Some will say that using a "plywood" with 8-way springs will not work. Sorry, but that is a false statement. When done correctly the solid hardwood engineered frame is more stable than a solid wood frame, less likely to develop a squeak and less likely to loosen over time. Manufacturing upholstery with all hardwood 18 ply birch is much more expensive than using solid wood. But temple, and several others, do this to give more value to consumers.

Temple has been in business 60 years, and is operated by the third generation of the Parker family. They are solid in their ethics and in the product they produce. View them as an upper quality line but with a bit better pricing. The pandemic did much to overwhelm factories and cause ordering time to swell to 30, 40 weeks, even more than a year. Since late 2022, Temple as gotten back to its pre-pandemic model of shipping custom orders within 3-5 weeks.

The Keeping Room used to carry Temple Furniture, back in the 1990's and up to about 2000 as I vaguely recall. I dropped the line not because of the builds, which were always solid and trouble-free, but because they sat hard and were not very comfortable due to foam used at the time and pitch angles, etc. Our customers were looking for more varied styles and more plush. Now, that was a LONG time ago, I am sure things have changed since then. Every few years I do pop into the Temple showroom at Market just to take a quick look but did not see anything that would make me want to reactivate the line in my store. When people ask me about it, I tell them Temple has been around a long time and if you see a piece you like from them you can buy it with confidence.

Lower to middle-end furniture is definitely improved on production times out of North Carolina, as inflation has taken lower income households out of the market due to the high price of gas, groceries and the like and they have pushed off purchases. Some upholstery plants in NC are even laying off right now. Higher end Premium furniture continues to still have longer build times with averages around 5 to 6 months, I point this out because I don't want readers to think the entire industry is down to 3 - 5 weeks, its not the case.

"Sofaman", I assume you work for Temple in one way or another, it's always a good idea to introduce yourself. Our forum is a bit more relaxed than some and the readers here prefer a more personal approach than something that reads like an advertisement. Welcome to the Forum.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-09-2023 at 01:00 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.