Thread: Leather advice - dogs!

molash Guest

Default Leather advice - dogs!

Hi Everyone -

I found this forum from the Garden Web site and I've found reading the threads really informative before purchasing. Here's my situation - I can't afford to spend $5,000 on a sofa and recliner, but I do want it to last at least until we grow out of our first home (possibly 5 yrs?) After that I'm fully confident this set will find a new home in our basement or some other area.

With that said, I also have two dogs whom I would love to keep off the couch, but they get on it a few times a day. My parents gave us their Lane leather sofa that is a pillow top style and they love it - no scratches aside from moving it here. My parents replaced this sofa with a LazyBoy model that is a more fitting leather (if that makes sense) and it is all scratched up. It's also a lot darker, so I think it probably shows the scratches more. I don't like the Lane models or colors out right now though.

I've found a furniture store that can do the Flexsteel Latitudes Corona model for $1200 sofa and $700 recliner. From what I've found that's a good deal. Of course I'd love to do a higher end piece, but I don't want to put money into something that isn't going to be a forever piece. The Chicago line is around $2,000 for the sofa and $1,000 for the recliner, significantly more - but I do understand that the domestically made pieces are better made.

Does anyone have any input on this, especially with 2 dogs (1 is 20lbs and the other is a white german shepherd puppy, but will be upwards of 80lbs). Am I on the right track to look for a lighter color - with more cushion to give when the dogs jump on it?

Thanks in advance for your help -

Amanda

Dogs won't bother the leather in the least, not a worry there.

Flexsteel Lattitudes is made in China and not very well at that. Do not expect longevity or sustainable performance from that line.

The Chicago series is USA made, better - but still "Joe Six Pack" furniture. It's just marginal.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

carmela39 Guest

I have the Chicago Series in our basement. It has held up ok after five years with no trouble with the recliners etc. The leather is not the best and does show some wear and slight scratches but overall still comfy and worth the money if you are on a budget.
    Hope this helps.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Dogs

I recently bought a new sofa from Duane and by Bichon scratched the cushions terribly in the first week. He likes to scatch in circles to make his bed before he gets comfortable. When I saw it I just wanted to cry. Now I keep a sheet on the sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by puhmuckel View Post
    I recently bought a new sofa from Duane and by Bichon scratched the cushions terribly in the first week. He likes to scatch in circles to make his bed before he gets comfortable. When I saw it I just wanted to cry. Now I keep a sheet on the sofa.
    Remind which leather we put on your sofa, was it Equestrian? Om many of the leathers, if you get a surface mark on them, you can ball your hand into a fist and friction rub the area to put some heat in it. That reflows the waxes on some of the hides and the marks disappear.

Cats seem to be the troublemakers with leather furniture. I have a few customers who buy leather and the kitties shed the leather in short order. Depends on the cat, of course. Dogs don't seem to do much damage but if you get a 'digger' they can cosmetically mark it up.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.