Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H & M vs Classic Leather

MitchV Guest

Default H & M vs Classic Leather

Duane, I'm a newbie to the forum, but have been lurking for many weeks getting ideas and gaining knowledge. You are a wealth of information, and I thank you for that. We have spent many weekends in furniture stores and have greatly narrowed our choices. I am looking for a big-man leather recliner or tilt back and have narrwowed it down to the H & M Austin - tilt high back and a Classic Leather "Chespaeake 139". Could you speak to the differences in quality and build of these. My wife is smaller, and she is also interested in the 3032 wall hugger recliner. Also, do you have an opinion on the leather quality between the "Viking" leather on the just-in-time line, and the "document" leather on the T & C line.

We are also interested in an upholstered sofa and are looking at Taylor King and Wesley Hall, both made here in NC, do you sell either of these lines or have any opinions or recommendations?

I'm sure that I will have more questions as we dig deeper into this process.

Thank you so much for your time.

Default Re: H & M vs Classic Leather

I don't have a Classic Leather piece to examine, so I cannot tell you how it compares to the Hancock and Moore build, sorry. I can tell you that the two founders of Hancock and Moore, Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore, were key players at Classic Leather in the 70's and the owner of Classic moved towards making the line most cost-efficient, and that's when they decided to leave that company and create Hancock and Moore as a no compromises build company. That's how H&M got going. To the best of my knowledge, Classic is more comparable to Bradington Young, which is a tier down from H&M (both are plywood frame companies). I've seen Classic in other stores, and felt no need to carry the line in my store as its duplicated by Bradington Young for the most part. However, they do not build a poor piece of furniture - you can purchase Classic and I'm sure you would be pleased with it.

Viking and Document are similar. Both are from Chinese tanneries, both top grain, finished leathers. Document may be slightly softer, however I like the price point of Viking.

The Austin # 3032 from H&M fits a lot of folks well, but is probably not the best choice for someone under 5' 3" or over 6' 2". If you get one, I would highly recommend a power unit as ladies struggle to close the footrest on the manual version.

Taylor King and Wesley Hall are very, very close to one another. I am a Taylor King dealer and the Wesley Hall rep has wanted to get in my store many times with his line. Again, I like the line, but don't feel it adds anything over and above what I already have. Both are high quality products.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MitchV Guest

Duane, Thank you so much for your response and I did receive your quotes. I am a 6'6 250# and I cannot find a recliner that is long enough for me which is why I'm looking at the 2038/8131. My wife is 5'2 and 110# soaking wet. I was looking at the 3032 for her to complement the 2038. Do you have any other recommendations, or is there a different model that I'm missing? I appreciate your opinion of the leathers as well. For as little of a difference in the two, I'm not sure that the difference in price is justified. I have requested a color sample on the "orders" tab. Thank you for all of your help.

I think at your height, you will find the # 2038 too small. The largest Tilt Back that H&M does is the Westwood series, here's a photo of it in my store (in the red leather) next to the Austin High Back. That should work for you pretty well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E79355BE-8EC6-4B90-9BBA-93A46855BA38.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	9817

I think your wife may be OK in the 3032, but its going to be a tad large for her. I recommend getting an Ultra Down Seat so she can sink in that a little more than a standard seat and that will get her feet a little closer to the floor. And to be sure, make sure she gets a motorized unit, at her size she won't have enough leg swing power to kick it closed and she will be frustrated by the amount of effort to close the manual unit.

If you want a recliner, then the H&M Sundance has your name on it - very tall for large men. This one should fit you well enough (in the red leather, H&M's Sammi recliner is to the right of it):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B487057-87DB-4EA3-8F30-8E08E7B0561A.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	9818
    Duane Collie

MitchV Guest

Wow! That Westwood is a much larger chair. It may certainly fit me better. Would it happen to be included in the JIT program? I am not opposed to a recliner, but I like the more traditional rolled arms with nails. I have had trouble finding a recliner with enough length on the fold-out. It the Westwood offered in a tilt-back and a recliner? Could you quote those on my other thread? If I changed to the Westwood, what would fit my wife and complement this chair?

Sorry, Westwood is not in any promotional program. It does not come as a Recliner, just as a Tilt Back with ottoman.

Remember that a recliner is not designed to put the heels of your foot on the footrest, your feet need to hang over, so they the contact point is at your Achilles heel for a good fit. If you buy one where the heel of your foot is resting on the footrest, it locks your knees and makes your leg fall asleep. The Sundance should do it.

The Austin would still be the best recliner to compliment the Westwood, though the Westwood has tufted sides and panels. See more views here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=westwood
    Duane Collie

The18thLetter27 Guest

I have to agree with Duane. That Sundance is a great big man recliner. I did also like the Parkway, both bustle back and the tufted back, for a recliner as well. The Parkway is not quite as big as the Sundance, but is pretty long in its own right.
    I thought the Westwood did come in a recliner though. 7150 maybe? But I think that one is a little shorter than the Parkway.
    Any of these recliners would be a great addition to your home though.
    Good luck in your search!

MitchV Guest

thanks for the replies guys. In your pic the Westwood looks huge compared to the Austin HBTB even though the specs don't show it to be much bigger. I prefer the rolled and nailed arms of Austin or Westwood to the square sundance arms, so the Westwood may be the best for me. I'm going to try to find one locally to "test". I'm torn between recliner or chair/ottoman.

I stand corrected, the Westwood DOES come as a recliner. This is what happens when I work from memory and don't look things up....

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...stwood-Lounger
    Duane Collie

MitchV Guest

Duane, I was able to sit it the Westwood today and it fit me perfectly! Thank you for the recommendation. While in the store, I had an office executive chair catch my eye. It is actually on JIT and I'd like you to quote it for me. I'll ask on my quote thread. I appreciate your help.