Thread: More on sectionals

Groz Guest

Default More on sectionals

Hi from the Boston area-
    We also are looking at sectionals for a small space (~126-130"x84-90") and configured a 3-piece sectional with a left arm chaise, armless sofa and right arm facing sofa (the design helper at Jordan's was very good). We went to Jordans and looked at Palliser, Flexsteel, and Kincaid because they fit our size and price range (Gold and Williams was too expensive and sat too deep for us). What can you tell me about the 3 companies we are looking at? Also, attached versus detached back cushions? Microfiber from these companies? Our kids are grown and we just have a small, aged dog. Thanks so much for your help! Groz

Sorry, I cannot address specifics among those makers (above) - perhaps someone else can assist.

Detached cushions vs. attached is usually a matter of personal preference. Attached keep their form better, but also mean you need an upholsterer to change out inner cores if need be.

As to Microfiber fabric - they're all about the same, a 100 % Polyester content using strands that are much thinner than standard Poly fibers. That thinness makes dirt and soiling less likely to be trapped in the fabric, i.e., easier to clean As to durability, you would need to source the friction rub numbers (Wysenbeek value test) for each fabric being considered.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jarrodsmorton Guest

Duane is right about the fabric. As for those lines, they are all pretty similar in quality and price point. Flexsteel prides themselves on their steel beam construction they have done for 100 years, and Kincaid and Palliser will do a drop in coil unit or no sag depending on the model. Before you order anything, I would call down south to see if you can use your budget on something of better quality. Most of my clients do that. That is how we stay in business here in High Point.

Groz Guest

Jarrodsmorton--Thanks for the info. What do you mean "call down south?" Can we deal directly with manufacturers? Given our price range (~2,000-2,500) for a small sectional, what companies do you suggest that would do better for us?

jarrodsmorton Guest

I guess it depends on how you view your budgest. Does that include shipping and tax, or just the product alone. If you go up a little better, you possibly could get King Hickory, Temple, or Clayton Marcus that would be a little step up.