Thread: MDF used in Stickley

charlesking Guest

Default MDF used in Stickley

I was surprised to learn from a Stickley sales representative that their night stand (Classics Mahogany Whitehall) drawer is veneer over MDF on both sides. Can anyone confirm this? Are the rest parts such as drawer fronts made from solid mahogany?

Default Re: MDF used in Stickley

I seriously doubt the drawer fronts on the piece are solid mahogany, not with that swirl pattern on them (that's very pricey in solids) and the fact they are doing MDF in the build. If you have one to look at, its easy to tell, just look at the back side of the drawer.

Now if you want a piece like that built the RIGHT Way, out of solids throughout, I have a craftsman that can do it as a custom. Price would be around $ 2K + shipping (don't hold me to that).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

charlesking Guest

It is not in the shown room of my local Stickley dealer. But the representative sent a picture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stickley drawer.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	9973.

I personally would not buy a piece of furniture with MDF in it- much less pay what Stickley costs.

charlesking Guest

I understand veneer is used for the swirl pattern, while expect solid hardwood (mahogany as well) underneath. From the picture, can we tell it is MDF or solid wood under the veneer for the drawer front?

I have no idea-- some other more experienced folks on the forum may can tell by the picture. You are correct that in good furniture you would expect hardwood under a veneer. Some intricate patterns you see on furniture have to be veneer. It's the only way to create the pattern.

The dovetails would indicate that the drawer front underlayment is the same as the sides of the piece. What is under the veneer is largely irrelevant as long as it's stable and holds a construction joint.

If you were building that accurately, then the secondary wood would be Poplar or Eastern White Pine, and the Drawer Front either solid mahogany or a crotch veneer over solid mahogany.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

i bought nightstands from stickley; if i recall correctly the whitehall collection was less expensive than others and might be made overseas. solid wood has a big markup, justified or not.

charlesking Guest

We checked all Stickley drawers in the local show room, including the metropolitan collection, which has veneer while appears not MDF underneath. My local dealer then called Stickley again and confirmed that no MDF is used in Stickley drawers. Not sure why the previous Rep had the wrong impression.