Thread: Anyone know about Thayer Coggin?

3ringcircus Guest

Default Anyone know about Thayer Coggin?

I am just starting the search for a sectional and ran across a curved u-shape online and have already fallen in love. From another site, I'm afraid this might be a high-end manufacturer and therefore out of my budget. Anyone know if they have a discount showroom-the website says they are in NC? Anyone comparable to that look and not quite as good for a lower price? (Waiting on a quote now).

Thanks.
    Newbie here.

You may want to post a link to the sectional you are interested in.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jarrodsmorton Guest

Thayer Coggin is a high end contemporary line manufactured in High Point. My wife actually interned when she got her design degree at App State. They let her pick out any sofa in the line as a thank you for her. They are a great mom and pop line. The sofa she got was very comfortable because it is built so well. You will pay a good price for it, but it is worth it if you want to keep it for a very long time. I know they are running a sell with us at Furnitureland. You are welcome to give me your specs, and I can get you a price.

I have a source in North Carolina who specializes in custom upholstered furniture. Over the past 30 years (I've known him for 15) he has built prototypes for many of the high end North Carolina manufacturers (including possibly Thayer Coggin). Basically, they hand him a picture of the new design, tell him what specifications and materials are needed and he builds an original prototype (and blueprints) which the manufacturer then takes apart and copies for their production. Usually these manufacturers use him for their more complicated designs, the ones that require new techniques or technology.

His name is Glenn Laughlin and I have found that his prices for a custom made piece are usually 20% - 30% lower than the price of a manufacturer like Thayer Coggin using identical specifications. You can get it even lower if you make specification changes (such as doing without down cushions or 8 way hand-tied springs). You are required to supply your own fabric but Glenn's wife, Pat, can sometimes help find a cheaper source for the fabric in North Carolina. Pat does a lot of Glenn's sewing. They also do reupholstering.

Glenn has made furniture for customers all over the world. He has made dozens of pieces for John Edwards, former Senator of North Carolina. He is not fast. You can expect your custom furniture to take at least 3 months after you supply the fabric.

If any of this sounds interesting you can call Glenn at 336-431-6602. He does not own a computer or have an email address.

3ringcircus Guest

Default Wow-A tape measure is a good thing...

I got so excited about the photo, I didn't check dimensions. WELL, it's too large for the space (Duane-thanks for the post about the graph paper BTW). Oh well, the hunt continues...