Thread: Squeaking box spring

Judyg951 Guest

Default Squeaking box spring

We have had our Royal Pedic bed for 2 years now and recently noticed that there is a lot of noise coming from the box springs. What could be causing this? It's a lovely bed and we really like it, but I don't remember ever having this kind of noise from any other bed in the past. I know it's not coming from the mattress as it's a foam one.

Default Re: Squeaking box spring

Squeaking is always caused by something rubbing against another object. The question becomes what is rubbing? That's hard to determine, I'd suggest one of you be on the bed and move around to replicate the noise, the other on the floor playing investigator trying to isolate the area making the noise. In my experience, bed squeaks are caused by one of the following with # 1 being most prevalent, and # 4 the least.

1) The bed frame itself (if wood) may have a loose joint. This is the most common cause.
    2) Where the box spring rests in the frame, or brackets, is having a friction point.
    3) The box spring frame is loose on a corner, friction when moving is causing the squeak
    4) An internal spring in the box spring is rubbing either another spring or a frame component.

See if you can isolate the source of the noise.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Squeaking is always caused by something rubbing against another object. The question becomes what is rubbing? That's hard to determine, I'd suggest one of you be on the bed and move around to replicate the noise, the other on the floor playing investigator trying to isolate the area making the noise. In my experience, bed squeaks are caused by one of the following with # 1 being most prevalent, and # 4 the least.

1) The bed frame itself (if wood) may have a loose joint. This is the most common cause.
    2) Where the box spring rests in the frame, or brackets, is having a friction point.
    3) The box spring frame is loose on a corner, friction when moving is causing the squeak
    4) An internal spring in the box spring is rubbing either another spring or a frame component.

See if you can isolate the source of the noise.

Thanks Duane. We will check it out and see if we can figure it out.

Judyg951 Guest

Well Duane, you were right. We finally got around to cleaning and moving the mattress and box springs off the bed frame and all 3 of the supports were loose. No wonder it was making all that noise!!! No more squeaking bed finally. It took us a long time to get around to it. The king sized mattress is a beast!!!