Thread: Why do they keep doing this to me???

CathieArms Guest

Angry Why do they keep doing this to me???

First off, good morning and hello! My name is Cathie and I'm in the midst of serious research to purchase a living room set. My head hurts. 'Nuff said.

Okay, for the question:

Why is it that when I visit a furniture store with a specific brand in mind to look at - that I KNOW they carry (because I've checked) - the salesperson tries to steer me toward something different?

For example: After searching the net and reading reviews about various furniture brands, I happened to see a lovely sectional by Palliser. I searched for local dealers, and then thought I'd go by one of the local dealers to see what they had. I didn't really expect to see that particular sectional in their store, but i wanted to look at the furniture by that company up close and decide whether I liked what I saw well enough to keep considering that company.

Well - like every other furniture dealer has done to me up to this point - they keep steering me to something different. I never saw a single Palliser sectional yesterday. The guy kept telling me how much better England, Klaussner and Best were. Well, that may be well and good, but it's not what I was interested in seeing. And, having done a quick look at those companies, it doesn't appear that they're as good as the Palliser might (since i've not seen it) be.

Why not just show me what I want to see? Or, if they don't have it, simply tell me they don't have it. This guy yesterday is no different from the others I've seen. He wanted to tell me that Natuzzi, England and Klaussner were "top of the line." That simply isn't true.

I'm frustrated. I just want to know if there's a reason they won't show me what I'd like to see when they're listed by the companies as being a dealer of their furniture.

Thanks for letting me vent. And, if anyone has an answer, I'd be truly interested in understanding what the heck is going on.
    Last edited by CathieArms; 08-18-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Virtually all furniture salespeople work on commission, they want to sell you something they have on the floor and sell it to you TODAY. Not much different than at any car dealer, and they will tend to take you over to the "SALE" items since they want to close the deal immediately. They may not have the brand you want simply because the buyer has chosen to spend inventory money on specials that other makers are offering. In your instance, Palliser may not be offering any enticing deals at the moment and thus you won't see many pieces on the floor.

Its not really the fault of the store. The American Consumer has trained the store management and personnel to be like this, quite honestly. Buying habits are all about getting things "on sale" and customer loyalty is about zilch in most cases, so stores do not try to cultivate relationships. They know that if ABC Furniture thirty miles down the road has the same exact set for less, the customer WILL abandon them even after spending several hours of time in the store just because the prices are less. So the pressure is on the store to only stock 'deal' items they can get bargains on, and then to sell them to you - the consumer - immediately to make way for the next batch of deal furniture on the way in. They also know that if they don't close the deal that day, you may not come back just because schedules get busy and you might find another store to go into. Its all about inventory turn and cash flow - so they show you want they have, not what you are seeking out. They have responded to the way Americans shop, that's all.

Everyone wants three things when they buy:

* Quality Product
    * Excellent Customer Service
    * Lowest Possible Price

You can have two of the three, in any order. But you can't have all three! Something has to give in most cases.

Most manufacturers require a store to have a certain presence of their product on the store to maintain their dealership status, but mostly that has fallen by the wayside in these economic times. They are loathe to cut anyone off right now for lack of presence of floor models.

And sometimes its just the preference of the store. I'm a huge Hancock and Moore fan (obviously) and keep appx. 25 pieces from them on the floor at any given time. I'm a Bradington-Young dealer as well, but only keep 4 pieces from them on the floor. I just like the H&M product better! Most consistent quality, better workmanship, fewer flaws, superior customer service, etc...its what I like to sell (yes, it costs more - see the three rules above).

Do your homework and figure out what pieces and maker you want to purchase, get educated on furniture on forums such as this, and look for a store that will actually assist you in your purchase rather at a reasonably competitive price point. Decide which of the three buying elements are important to you, and go from there. There are good dealers out there, sometimes they're just a little harder to find.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bigwaved Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Everyone wants three things when they buy:

* Quality Product
    * Excellent Customer Service
    * Lowest Possible Price

You can have two of the three, in any order. But you can't have all three! Something has to give in most cases.
    I feel like I am getting all three by working with you.

Ssshhh!! Don't tell ! Makes everyone have too high expectations on that customer service part. LOL....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Riddle Guest

Sometimes one has to be quite assertive.

"Thank you, but I'm doing some very specific research today. Do you or do you not have examples of xyz brand on the floor at the moment?"

If the answer is "no" praise the person for giving a candid answer. If you get more run-around, point out that you don't buy from stores that don't listen to you -- and leave.