Thread: Hello from a new member in northern California

Nancy Guest

Default Hello from a new member in northern California

Hello to the furniture forum community,
    I'm a newbie and so happy to know about the forum. I've soloed for years in my quest to learn more about fine furnitue and especially like colonial American pieces which is odd for a Californian. I was looking at two drawer Sheraton stands today and came upon leakesantiques.com in South Carolina. Would enjoy hearing more about anyone's experience with this fine furniture making family.

Hi Nancy, and welcome.

Ahhhh! My specialty field! (and everyone thinks its H&M leather). Fun looking at that site, but they're not quite there yet in their design execution. They're doing a blend of modern furnituremaking (a'la Thomas Moser) with old world designs. Proportions are off and everything is belt-sanded instead of hand-scraped. Finishes are oil based and a tad lifeless and flat. Should be aniline-dyed with shellac midcoats. They're 80% of the way there, but still have a ways to go for period replicas. A bit too much machine-made for my tastes and they definitely need someone to show them how to finish.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Nancy Guest

Default Sheraton stands

Duane,
    Helpful information, thank you. I keep looking at Mark Emerzian's Sheraton stand. My goal, by next year, is to order the table for the perfect spot waiting for it, in a sitting area, off the side of our living room. What are it's dimensions? I do like two drawer stands, too. I'm in a concept stage of thinking about what would work for bedside tables (someday) to compliment the two Delaware Valley Ladderback armchairs in our bedroom. The bed is a Benecia Foundry iron bed.
    Nancy