A good pal of mine - Eric - is very....ahhh...."thrifty". His wife would say he's cheap, but I know he just likes a bargain more than most.

Anyways, this week they sent their 12-year-old daughter, Maddie. out to Salt Lake City UT (from Wash DC) to visit with her Aunt and Uncle while they took the eldest off to college at Virginia Tech. Maddie has never flown by herself before, so this was a Big Thing.

So Eric books the plane ticket on 'Standby' out at Dulles Airport because he can get a lower rate on the flight that way vs. buying a regular coach ticket. His wife was not particularly impressed with the "Standby" ticket, but told Maddie that was how she would be flying out.

They're out at the airport yesterday at the boarding gate and after the plane loads up they call her name to get on the aircraft. All works as Eric had planned, and hugs are exchanged and goodbyes said.

Her Mom says in parting "Be sure to call me the minute you land OK, hon? I want to make sure you made it alright."

Maddie says (and I am not making this up): "I'll try to Mom, but I might be really tired after having to stand up in the airplane all the way to Utah."