Thread: My Serta Mattress lasted 2.5 years :(

Jenny Guest

Default My Serta Mattress lasted 2.5 years :(

We've had it with our mattress - its a Serta Perfect Sleeper Pillowtop, and we've had it for only 2.5 years, but my husband's side of the mattress is now severely indented. Honestly, it didn't even do as well as my cheapie IKEA mattress that I bought from IKEA when I went to college which lasted me a good 7 years of undergrad and grad school and it was about 5x less so I'm pretty annoyed.

We're in the market for another one now - I can't quite convince my husband to spring more than $2000-$2500 for a King. Any ideas?

Edit: One that I HAVE been considering is the Hilton mattress. I travel frequently and enjoy their beds, but I have no idea how long/if they last
    Last edited by Jenny; 10-19-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Default Re: My Serta Mattress lasted 2.5 years :(

That's pretty typical for a conventional bedding mattress, though 2 1/2 years is pretty soon for compression, usually they will go about double that to 5 years. When I was selling conventional bedding (that was a nightmare, too many unhappy customers), King Koil had a standard of 2" for depression in the first 5 years. That is, if the indentation was more than 2" vs the middle of the bedding, they would replace the mattress. And I replaced a LOT of mattresses. So you might want to contact Serta and see if they have a compression value like that for replacement. That's what I would do first.

Secondly, if your husband is stuck at that price point, then you will still be in the same class of bedding. Expect anything you buy to do the same, though the time of the depression will vary by brand somewhat. My thoughts on that are to just buy a discounted floor model somewhere with the intent to landfill it when it gets as bad as yours is now. Then repeat. Or buy a basic hotel grade unit, they last about two years and toss them. There is always whatever Costco has at a given time, too. The difference on a $ 1,000 set and a $ 2,000 set is often just the exterior cover, which you are going to cover up anyways, so no need to have fancy.

To get into better bedding that won't suffer the big compressions, you'll have to come up considerably in the budget.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

Yikes, that's really disappointing Duane.

I don't think I'll have much luck with their warranty, but I'll give it a try anyways.

(I remember your posts about the Royalpedic by the way, but I think he may need a few more failed mattresses before he gets there) - also, there's no way for us to try one as we are located in Minnesota

Royal Pedic dealers in MN - call them and see if they have a floor model:

Scandia Down Shop - Minneapolis
    3540 Galleria Street
    Edina MN 55435
    (952)920-2214

Zachary, Ltd.
    International Market Square 275 Market St. #461
    Minneapolis, MN. 55405 (612)305-1201

Of course, you still have to get beyond the price tag or its no sense bothering. Eastern King basic all cotton set is $ 5,330 (my store price) and they go up from there.

The thing is, they won't feel any different when new vs a mainstream polystyrene foam bed. They all are good when they are new. The difference is the R.P. is going to take you to 15 to 20 years of use before it needs to be replaced. After my miserable - and I do mean MISERABLE experience selling King Koil bedding, I was determined to find a manufacturer where the beds held up. I had - I think - at least eighty customers unhappy with the early failure of their King Koil matts due to compression sinking. And to their credit, King Koil warrantied quite a few of them. But we had to re-deliver the new bedding at no charge, and that was a huge logistical and money-losing situation. Not only handling all that bedding, but paying my delivery crews to go swap them out and taking the old ones to the dump and paying a disposal fee. So I soured right quickly on conventional layered foam bedding. Plus, my customers thought less of my store as a result, because I had sold them a product that didn't hold up. No more of that! I researched the heck out of bedding and talked to many people in the industry, and Royal Pedic is one of those brands that meet my criteria and has for many years (I have four RP's in my house, every bedroom).

Most people spend 320 + nights a year or so on their beds, I have to say you can skimp a lot of places to save money, but your main bedding is not one of them, its really false economy. That's not to say you have to buy premium bedding - you can still buy inexpensive units and they will last 18 to 24 months (like hotel grade bedding) and then toss it and replace it regularly. Over the long run, I think it costs more that way but you're laying out the cash over a period of time rather than a single lump sum.

Ask here how forum members like their bedding they sleep on - everyone has one of some kind or another!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I know sometimes that actual bed suspension is ok but the pillow top is what indents/fails. My last mattress did not include a pillowtop but was pretty comfortable and can be rotated and flipped. Also I believe there are pillowtops that can be added to mattresses that lack them. Good luck and hopefully you find something that is comfortable and lasts 2-3 times what you got out of your current mattress.

Judyg951 Guest

We are going on just 2 years with Our Royal Pedic Latex mattress (bought from Duane of course) and could not be happier. Was it expensive, oh yes, but considering that it should last 15-20 years and we won't be out shopping for a new bed every few years it was worth it.