Thread: B-y 9160/9823?

johnj Guest

Default B-y 9160/9823?

Do you happen to have any experience with and/or thoughts on Bradington-Young's leather 9160 (9823)?

https://www.bradington-young.com/bra...formation.aspx

It's the only Analine married cover (and 1 of 2 grade 2's along with 9021/9815) available on a sofa that I like. I like the color but have no idea how it feels of course.

And since it's Analine does that mean that it's less likely to come from China?

Thanks.
    John

Default Re: B-y 9160/9823?

I would suggest trying to find a local B-Y dealer that has leather swatches, so you can see and feel it in person.

Most leather comes from China or India, and from what I've read B-Y sources most of its leather in China. Unless they tell you otherwise, I would assume that it's from China.

I don't happen to have a 9160 swatch in my handles for some reason, so can't really comment on it.

Chinese leathers are very consistent, it's the Italian ones that are all over the board.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

johnj Guest

Thanks, aaron and drcollie.

9160 sounds new as of 10/16. They don't have it here either.

Seemed like elsewhere you had written that Analine covers were unlikely to come from China; also that Grade 2 leathers were unlikely to be married kits in the traditional sense. Do you think that might tend to be the case here too? But is a Gr. 2 Analine even going to be worthwhile?

Other options are 9021/9815 Gr. 2, and 9110/9886 Gr. 1, which it looks like you've worked with a fair amount. Have you had pretty good luck with them?

Oh, and I notice that you consider 9110 to be Semi-Analine, where B-Y describes it as Finished. But am I correct that that's also pretty much a distinction w/o a difference?

https://www.bradington-young.com/bra...formation.aspx

Thanks again.

Many of the lower cost aniline hides are from South America, best ones come out of Europe. Everything is top grain in the BY line, they don't do bi-cast, bonded or splits, so you are OK with any leather, just trust your eyes and sense of touch to get what you like. Maintenance is more the key than anything else.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

johnj Guest

Thanks