Thread: Quality of Arhaus leather furniture

Default Quality of Arhaus leather furniture

Duane, I'm curious about the quality of Arhaus leather furniture because I love the way it looks. I especially like the "Alex" chair in Tomato leather, which is on sale right now: regular $2,659 and sale $1,699. I'm not in the market right now, of course, because I'm awaiting delivery of my H&M Somerset Cane and Rouleau chairs in Weston Navy (can't wait!).

Given my lack of knowledge about quality leather, I won't be surprised at all if Arhaus doesn't compare well with H&M.

Arhaus gets many mixed reviews, and build quality varies based on the 'collection' series. Some is USA made, some is Indonesian or other Pacific Rim countries. It's been a while since I looked at it (they used to have a store in Fairfax Commons, but closed it). Last time I was in an Arhaus I was not too impressed, but like I said its been some time.

There is sort of an inverse relationship in the furniture industry to store locations and quality of goods. The beautiful stores in fancy locations have the cruddiest furniture (look no further than Pottery Barn or Anthropologie for textbook examples), because they have to sell low quality to pay the high rents. The stores located in less desirable areas of town (like mine!) don't have high rents, so we can sell the really good stuff for the price the mall stores sell the lousy stuff.....So my little quality-alarm bells always go off anytime I walk into any store in high-rent commercial retail locations (like where Arhaus locates their stores).

I'd have to look at what they are currently offering in detail to assess, but I can guarantee without hesitation it won't be in the same class as the H&M you have on order.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

artielange Guest

Default Not worth it to me

I own this Alex chair and ottoman in Harness Brown. I bought it because I had liked it in the Arhaus store and when the website had a weekend sale of $800 for the chair and similar reductions on the ottoman I ordered it.

I definitely don't love it. It seems like mini-furniture. The chair is such a small scale that my husband and son don't even fit in it. The ottoman weighs about 8 pounds. The leather on it is decent but this chair in no way compares to the Hancock & Moore chairs that I bought. If I had paid $1600 for this chair I would feel that I vastly overpaid. At $800 I can live with it but I wouldn't buy it again. I always find myself apologizing for it when people sit in it. Arhaus sofas are much more costly than the H-M and the H-M quality is far superior. My September sofa and loveseat continue to get more comfortable every week.

dr56 Guest

I have been very fortunate with Arhaus in the past and I mean way past. Our sofa, I hate to admit is still in great condition, at 15 years old BUT I, too, have heard mixed reviews. It truly does depend on where it was made. I would imagine their quality is not what it used to be as is true for many furniture manufacturers. I do love the Alex chair but, personally, think it is still overpriced at the sales price for the quality. H&M far exceeds the quality but I don't think they have a chair like the Alex.....its "cute" and yes, it is very petite and definitely not a man's chair. One more thing, we have an Arhaus outlet near our home and I have seen many leather pieces there, including the Alex chair which leads me to believe they are either returns or some defect. They do not warranty at the outlet store either. Jusy my .02 but I have been an Arhaus fan of sorts for years as I love their furniture style. Good luck with your choice!

Robert Guest

Default Re: Quality of Arhaus leather furniture

I'm new and thankful for this valuable forum provided by Duane Collie, who I recentlly met in person at his store. Although Duane did not carry quite what I was looking for, I was impressed by his expertise, integrity and commitment to customer service. I will visit him again for other needs and would buy from him without hesitation.

Regarding the Arhaus Alex chairs in Harness Brown leather. I have two of them in my library. They are perfectly comfortable and beautiful for me. Notice, however, that I said "for me". That is because I am vertically challenged (that means short in plain politically incorrect English) and I need a chair in which my feet will reach the floor. Also, my library is small and I wanted two chairs that would not overwhelm the room. The Alex chairs met both needs beautifully.

The chair is well made and very attractive. It is all top grain leather and down filled. It is made in the USA by Thomas-Baine Leather, Inc. located at 1211 Keisler Road, Conover, North Carolina. I wanted a chair in the French Club Style and checked everywhere and could not find one with a more beautiful silouette than this one.

Yes, the chair is small, but not for me. On the contrary, it is a perfect fit for my short legs and my small library. If the chair is not a good fit for the body size of the purchaser, or for the size of the room, then it is not a good deal at any price.

One last point. At $800.00, the Alex Chair in Harness Brown leather and ottoman was an absolute steal. That specific leather chair has been around for a while. No doubt, thousands have been sold. But go out today and try and find a used Arhaus Alex Chair in Harness Brown leather on Craigslist, E-bay or even Arhaus Clearance. You won't.

I do not like any of the rest of the furniture at Arhaus. But I absolutely love my Alex Chairs in Harness Brown leather!