Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&M Sloane Sofa...Need Help Choosing Leather

kgboxer Guest

Default H&M Sloane Sofa...Need Help Choosing Leather

Thinking of going with the H & M Sloane Sofa, but now I need help with the leather choices. Also, if anyone has this sofa I would love to hear from you.
    I will list the leathers that I'm considering and anyone please feel free to give me your opinions on them. Class 3 is most likely my choice, but of course I would like for it to feel and look like a 4.
    With the Sloane being tufted on the back I am just wondering if the thickness or thinness of the leather will be an issue in my decision making.
    Antelope-Nugget
    Equestrian-Truffle
    Garfield-Mocha
    Garfield-Sable
    Upton Cafe
    Capri- Tobacco

Forgot to mention, but I will be getting the Springfield Lounger in the same leather choice.

Thanks for any and all info.
    Kim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4354_Sloane_SO_DP.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7087_Springfield_MT_DP.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	442  

Martha2 Guest

Hi Kim

I can only comment on the Antelope nugget because I have a recliner in that leather that was made this year. I analyzed in great depth and took a lot of time to choose a leather. I wanted top quality AND durability, and I feel I achieved that with the Antelope nugget. I ordered an approval sample before finalizing the order. It is a rich dark brown with a wonderfully soft hand. If you search my previous posts you will find photos of my chair displaying the leather. I know it seems like a big decision, but if you are looking for a dark brown I don't think you will regret this selection. Good luck!

Martha

kgboxer Guest

Martha,
    I searched your post and found your recliner. I love that leather! It's just the perfect shade of brown, not to red, not to orange, just a true dark brown. Thank you so much for responding as it really helps me to see these colors when they are actually on a piece of furniture rather than in a swatch.
    Kim

Kim...
    We have Antelope (saddle) on our sofa and chair and after almost 5 years it's still like new. It does have a great hand. I find that the leather actually has added some sheen in the areas most used (seat cushions). I would not recommend the Equestrian unless you don't mind the noise caused by the leather rubbing against itself (try rubbing the sample against itself to hear and feel what I mean). With the Equestrian I think it's the protection on the leather that causes the noise. Without a doubt the Capri is my favorite on your list. It is simply a great leather, but tobacco is a bit too dark for my personal taste.

lwigley Guest

I just went through a batch of samples and chose the Garfield for a Monterey piece that I'm ordering. It has a nice hand and isn't as waxy/shiny as the Upton and some of the others I looked at. It's also softer than the Fenway. I haven't seen the Capri but it seems to be very highly regarded.

Thickness is mostly an issue if you need to do intricate work and in that case thin is easier to tailor. With the tufting, you may want to consider a leather with a pull-up effect which gives color variety when it's stretched. Our fearless leader of this forum is quite keen on Milan Saddle for that effect and it's a nice thick leather.

I'm assuming you have samples of all these. If not, you can get them sent from H&M. Duane has also posted some stuff about wear ratings, although they will be on the samples as well.

whitelm Guest

I just received my sofa in Garfield Mocha. I am having trouble getting a good picture - with the flash - the pictures just don't look like the real thing - and I can't figure out how to get my flash off. Will get the photos up soon. It is dark brown.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelm View Post
    I just received my sofa in Garfield Mocha. I am having trouble getting a good picture - with the flash - the pictures just don't look like the real thing - and I can't figure out how to get my flash off. Will get the photos up soon. It is dark brown.
    Here we go, "L" emailed them to me and I re-sized them and cropped them to fit. Really a nice looking sofa. I predict the Garfield series will be a big leather for H&M, its quite handsome! Hope the delivery went smoothly and you are happy with your pieces, and last but not least THANK YOU for ordering from my store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sept1.jpg 
Views:	1095 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sept%20009.jpg 
Views:	844 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sept 013.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	451  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mcarey Guest

Default Re: H&M Sloane Sofa...Need Help Choosing Leather

Hi Duane,
    Can you please confirm that this leather is really Garfield Mocha? It looks more like chestnut or fawn...Thanks!

Yes it is. Garfield has some sheen to it, plus the color does vary from dye lot to dye lot. There's a fair amount of flash bounce on that photo as well. Here's a Garfield leather taken outside with no flash:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=771
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mark123 Guest

I just recieved a cutting for approval from my dealer which is supposedly Garfield Mocha but I'm not sure it really is. I've read in this thread and elsewhere in the forum that Garfield colors can vary a good bit however the cutting I received doesn't have the sheen/gloss that I have seen in the pictures on this forum as well as the samples I have been sent prior. I am happy with the color I'm just concerned, given that I am truly a novice when it comes to judging quality hides, that either the H&M factory labled/sent the incorrect cutting or the dealer although unlikely sent me a leather similar but lower grade to Garfield to make a bigger profit. I will try to take a picture and upload it but I was curious what thoughts anyone might have one this? Thanks for any input anyone has. I just want to make sure I'm getting the leather that I m purchasing and not some cheaper grade like document.
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-19-2010 at 06:49 PM.