Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&M Sloane Sofa...Need Help Choosing Leather

mark123 Guest

Default Re: H&M Sloane Sofa...Need Help Choosing Leather

Here are a couple of pics. There is a glare so I'm not sure how discernable these will be but the larger cutting is supposedly the garfield mocha and the smaller is the garfield chestnut. The chesnut has a waxy, slick feel to it whereas the mocha has a totally different feel and seems to be more of a pull-up as the color lightens when stretched from underneath. I know I sound crazy but just wanting to make sure I'm getting the correct leather. Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB190313.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	1890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB190314.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	1891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB190312.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	1892

Mark

mark123 Guest

One more... This is picture of the clipping in the bottom right compared to the Garfield Mocha on this September sofa. I realize the lighting and glare are different in both images and dyes vary from hide to hide however is it possible that these are both the same leather?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	september2.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	1893

"...sent me a leather similar but lower grade to Garfield to make a bigger profit..."

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. If you don't have a level of trust in making a special order with a dealer, then you should not be doing anything but purchasing off the floor. If you were in my store and made that comment to me I would not sell to you. Seriously. This business is hard enough without accusing people of being cheats and there is no more upstanding company in the business than Hancock & Moore.

The cutting is not incorrect, I can assure you of that. I'm never had an incorrect CFA (Cutting For Approval) from any maker over the years. What you are seeing is the variance I continually speak about on the forum. Garfield is one of those hides that is 'all over the board' in dye lot and sheen variances. What you see is what you get, especially on a CFA. If you don't like the swatch, then refuse the CFA and try another leather in the line, that's my suggestion.

CFA's are cut at the bottom of the hide (unusable portion) as well. They will not cut up into the prime leather when they do your sample, hence the heavy wrinkles in your CFA.

Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Riddle Guest

Mark,

Photos will only give you a general idea of what to expect. There are far too many variables (lighting, flash, shutter speed, quality of the camera, skill of the photographer, type of electronic file used, possible modifications of image via Photoshop or similar software, your monitor, your eyes and the particular piece of leather) to do an apples to apples comparison. Hold you own skin against a photo of yourself and see how close the match is or isn't!

Take a look at the top of the ottoman in post #68 in the thread below. It's Garfield Mocha. The color in that photo looks quite different than the same leather in other photos. On my laptop monitor, which has questionable color rendering, that particularly photo looks most like the Garfield I've seen in person.
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...uestions/page7

In the end, the pictures don't matter. You either love the leather in your cutting or you don't. If you don't, then keep shopping.