Thread: How to explain poor quality of document saddle swatch?

peter Guest

Default How to explain poor quality of document saddle swatch?

Maybe there are some explanations, I just don't know

Here is the story: first got a Cavalier henna swatch from HM (6"x6"), did a unscientific wearability test by rubbing it with a rather rough fabric till the top begins to show peeling. This Cavalier henna last at least 3x longer than 5 other leather swatches from costco and sam's (5 of them, 4 imported, 1 made in US, including Leather italia USA, Soflex, Quest, etc). so I'm so impressed with this town & country Henna hide based on this test.

now I got a document Saddle from HM, i run the same test under similar condition (how much force, speed), guess what: this document saddle is at most similar or even poor than some of the 5 swatches. I redid the test on Henna, confimed it does hold on 3x longer.

I can't understand why this Document saddle does so poorly in this test. Does the swatch reflect true sofa hide quality (except color, which may vary)? is it possible the Henna swatch was made in US and Saddle is in China? Or this Saddle is just a "bad" sample? I was about ready to order this hide, this really worry me a lot.

any thoughts? thank you

Peter, you have me stumped on this one. I've never had anyone do this test before and quite frankly I can't imagine the abrasion put down on any of these leather that would peel the hide. I don't think its a true test of durability under normal usage and it sounds to me like the pressure and material used might be excessive. I've been selling leather since 1985 and have never seen anyone wear through a leather that has kept it clean and maintained.

Having said that, if you are really looking for maximum abrasion resistance as Job 1, then I would suggest you forgo all entry level leathers from all makers and look at thick aniline hides such as Bozeman Harness, Bison Tobacco, any Equestrian ( squeaky!), Old English or Plaza. They will all be more expensive hides, but all are thickly cut and heavy leathers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

peter Guest

Default Re: how to explain poor quality of document saddle swatch?

Duane,

thanks for the comments.

Actually in my test, I refer to longevity of the surface coating before the coating begin to be removed, not by wear through the leather. so the thickness of the hides do not matter if the coating is gone.

so I'm still puzzled by the significance difference btw Cavalier and Document.

Default Re: How to explain poor quality of document saddle swatch?

Both Cavalier and Document are FINISHED leathers and in any finished leather there is a protective top coat, similar to the clear coat on a automobile finish. It's a sprayed-on coating and I guess you can wear it down if you put a mind to do so, but I'm never seen that occur in all the hundreds of pieces I've sold. Both Document and Cavalier come out of China, probably different tanneries but I don't know that for sure. One may have a different chemical makeup in the topcoat than the other?

Most of those other leathers I mentioned have no topcoat, you're right on the leather itself. Given enough pressure, abrasion, and repetitive rubs I suspect you can damage anything....but again my personal opinion is this friction-wear test is something that should not be a concern.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.