Thread: Recommendations for sofa on a budget - Craigslist and consignment shops are dry

Default Recommendations for sofa on a budget - Craigslist and consignment shops are dry

Hey everyone,

I'm in my late-20s and bought a leather-bonded couch at a big brand retailer 5 years ago as my first major purchase for an apartment. It was $1100 and wow, what a waste of money. The product was a total lemon and has holes all over it. I've spent hours pouring through this forum reading drcollie's advice and the experiences of others and will never buy bonded leather again! I am seated on a heavily duck-taped cushion as I write this...

I have a few apartment moves ahead of me before I own a house. Since I don't know what my house's living room will ultimately look like, I've been leery to blow a bunch of money on a couch at this time - I don't want it damaged in moves, I want it to match my house's living room, etc. A "throwaway" couch for $500 that lasts me a few years would be fine, but I can't find anything reputable in that price point... consumers sometimes have issues with those pieces in months, not years. It seems the only better alternative is to stick with reputable brands in the $1000-1800 price point, which is where I need some recommendations.

I was hoping to find some of the amazing brands mentioned on these forums (Taylor King, Hancock & Moore, Bradington Young, etc.) on Craigslist or consignment shops, but there is absolutely nothing around. I could be patient and keep looking, but like I said, I am sitting on a duck-taped cushion and would like to replace this hunk of junk sooner rather than later!

Sofa Prerequisites:
    • 80-90 inches wide
    • fabric is fine (skeptical of leather in this price range)
    • The cheaper the better - but could go up to $1700 if necessary

What would you all recommend? Are Havertys or Ethan Allen even worth a look? I saw Ethan Allen has outsourced some of their production in the last 10 years. Ethan Allen's entry-level sofas look like they're priced at $1600, so I'd want it to last a long time. I know to stay way from these trendy mall shops like Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc.

The only place in this price range I've found on the forums is Simplicity Sofas in NC. I've seen someone from their team, Jeff, post on these forums, and he seems to know his stuff. However, if I'm paying that much for my furniture, I'd like to sit on it before trying it, and I'm in Atlanta. Still considering getting some swatches from them if no one has any better alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Recommendations for sofa on a budget - Craigslist and consignment shops are dry

Yes, stay away from Bonded and BiCast products - they are more plastic and poly than real leather. Plus when they go cheap on the cover, they usually go cheap on the suspension and frame as well.

There are quality brands that come up for sale in the used market, however from what I see about 80% of them are pretty well used-up, and that other 20% that is not gets snapped up quickly if its priced right.

All I have to recommend is this Century Closeout. I like this sofa a lot and have one in my store in brown leather. It's genuine top grain leather, 8-way hand-tied suspension, down cushions (part of their imported group). Made well, sits good and they have a 30% discount from the maker. It's a little over your budget at $ 1,899 (shipping price, in store price in higher) and they only have four left in the black Ebony leather. It's a lot of sofa for the money. You can drive to Hickory NC to pick it up if you have a truck, or use a shipping service to get it to Atlanta that would run $ 200 to $ 350 depending on whom you use. I would expect you can get 20 years from this piece and you won't be miserable on it. No disappointments with this. Pay no attention to the price you get wiht the BUY IT button on their website.

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/pro...Y&section=WOOD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plr_7102_ebony_0614.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	11018
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Recommendations for sofa on a budget - Craigslist and consignment shops are dry

So much depends on you, and how hard you are on furniture. Moving, dropping the end down hard when you move it, how many people are using it, your size and weight, if you have animals, etc. I have a cheap sofa that should not have lasted me any time at all, but lasted me over 10 years, and now I am buying a better one. But it is only me using it, the only animal is a cat. If you go for a cheap sofa I would recommend a good microfiber fabric. Lift up the corner of the sofa, if the frame twists, move on. You might also try Temple. Not highly stylish but from what I remember they are solidly made and less expensive than most of these. But they will not be 500.00. I am not familiar wtih Simplicity Sofas. Atlanta isn't THAT far from NC, so you might consider a trip there to look for one. The Temple website lists a half dozen places in Georgia that carry them, so a phone call might tell you if they are even still in your price range.

The sofa Duane posted above sounds like a good deal also, depending on how much you want to stretch your budget. I personally would not recommend bonded leather, it is mostly plastic. But someone in my family does have a bonded leather sofa, and it has lasted probably about 8 years now with no tears in the fabric and no duct tape. I know someone else who is younger, about 6'4" and a big guy, and he has a leather lazy boy that hasn't lasted more than a couple of years. Not good quality, but once again, I am sure gets harder use than mine. So maybe if you give some idea of how the sofa is used you might get better and more realistic recommendations.
    Last edited by SueCT; 06-29-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Awesome. Thanks so much, everyone!

Keep trying consignment shops. There's one in the greater Boston area that I've used once for case goods, but which carries upholstered stuff as well, www.furnitureconsignment.com/. Also try the on-line auction business ebth.com, if they have locations near you. I recently watched with interest a large sectional by American Leather go for $400. If there are FB or freecycle groups in your area they might be pursuing as well. My town has an e-mail list and FB page where people are constantly posting free or low-cost furniture; often they're moving or upgrading and just need to get rid of stuff.

joeyd Guest

Duane,

Is the Century closeout still available in brown leather?

I have one on the floor in my store and the Century Dealer website shows (3) left in the Brown at $ 1,899 your cost + shipping.

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/pro...-LOAM&section=

They also have (4) in Ebony in the motion units only at $ 2,930 closeout (plus shipping)

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/pro...EBONY&section=

Pay no attention to the BUY IT NOW price on the Century website, that's the price if you buy direct from them. Quite honestly, I'm stunned these are still available. This is a REALLY nice sofa at a very aggressive close out price. If I weren't such a Hancock and Moore die-hard I'd consider replacing my two Leathercraft sofas in my own home with these.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I kind of wish I had seen these in dark brown before ordering my City Sofa. Assuming you like the color, and I haven't seen a picture of the brown one, I think it is a very good buy. It would have saved me over 1000.00 if I liked the color.