Thread: Trumps imposes new tariffs on China : Furniture among them, and metal springs, etc.

Threaded View

Default Trumps imposes new tariffs on China : Furniture among them, and metal springs, etc.

New trade tariffs of 10% go into effect on Chinese-made furniture later this month and they will extend to 25% by end of the year according to both The WashingTon Post and Fortune news articles published today. This is almost certainly going to result in price increases, especially for companies such as Hooker Furniture where the bulk of their product is made in China. Metal springs are also in the 300 + items listed, and those are used in domestic made mattresses and even US-made furniture.

I'm putting this out not to be political, but to warn you that I see large price increases on the way, especially on imported furniture. My suggestion if you are considering a purchase in this category, do it soon. Even USA-made product uses many build components in this tariff category, so expect price increases in domestic items as well, though not on the order of direct imports.

Furniture companies are slow to respond and busy prepping for the October High Point Market, but I would wager these increases will all arrive near the end of this year. Just an FYI, you heard it here first. This tariff will hit the pocketbooks of consumers .
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-18-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.