Thread: Opinion on B-Y 737-95 in 9803-86

janycer Guest

Default Opinion on B-Y 737-95 in 9803-86

My local furniture store has the Bradington-Young 737-95 Sofa available in the married leather 9803-86 for around $2200.00. I really would like to buy locally and this is a good store with whom I have an established relationship. However, I do not want to make a purchase I may end up regretting. The price seems good, but I am a little concerned about the married leather. The sofa seems very comfortable, but I need to sit on it again to be sure. I do not want a large sofa, but I am also a little concerned that this sofa looks a tad 'undersized'. Although that could be a factor of the showroom and the fact it is the smallest sofa in the store.

I am very interested in Hancock and Moore, however the closest dealer is 50 miles. My experience with them three years ago was not pleasant, they were the epitomy of 'pushy'. That may not be true today, and I am willing to give them another chance but truthfully I feel I would probably be just as well served buying from someone 2000 miles away if I don't buy from my local dealer.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Default Re: Opinion on B-Y 737-95 in 9803-86

I have that model on my sales floor and I think its a good, comfortable sofa. Mine is not in the Married Cover but I can tell you that my price in that leather you are looking at is $ 1,679 + shipping to wherever you may be located. This piece has some interesting design elements that I like such as the three gentle curves along the front of the sofa. As to the Married Cover, B-Y does 'just OK' with them. I can find flaws on their married covers that bother me, but 80% of folks not in the business would never see them. Mostly the seams are not as straight, and some leather that I think should be left on the cutting room floor is used on back and side panels. Its not Hancock and Moore, but neither is it H&M pricing.

If you like that 737-95 and want to go a tad larger in H&M, look at the MEMBER series, or the KODIAK. Both are in the Town and Country promo so the price will stay friendly in that category.

I sell both brands in my store, and have both brands in my own home. The BY will last just as long as the H&M, but it doesn't have the style, or fine workmanship of the H&M pieces. And I'll generally give the nod to H&M for best comfort across the line as well.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

janycer Guest

Thank you Duane. Is the B-Y you have in your store the gorgeous red one I found in the photo section? I could be in deep doo-da if so. I very much like the HM Member sofa, it was one of the 15 I saved photos of yesterday. However, I am not sure about the leather color posted in the Town & Country thumbnails. And of course I also liked the 4107 series, with the gorgeous carved legs.

Yes, that's the one (has a matching red chair and ottoman, too). BY has discontinued that leather, so that's the last one of those.

Don't rely on photos of leather off the web. That's just to help you narrow down your selections. You really need to see the leather swatches, which myself or any other H&M dealer can order for you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.