Thread: My good deed for the day

Default My good deed for the day

Came back from a quick trip to the Post Office to find a woman's wallet in front of my store in the parking lot. Opened it up and it had cash, credit cards and all the other stuff one expects to find, along with an ID from San Salvador. Luckily there was a Virginia Driver's license with a hispanic woman's name I can't pronounce on it. No contact phone or email, and Googling the search of the address yielded no further information. I could hold it and see if someone comes in, call the police and turn it over to them, or just take it over to the address on the driver's license, which is about a mile away. I knew whomever owned it would be very much missing it.

I decided to just drive it over, and it was on an unfamiliar street I didn't recognize, even though I've been in this area 32 years. When I got there, I realized why - in the very back of the poorest of poor trailer parks in the region. Not a road or part of town I would ever go into. I knocked on the door of the trailer and took several steps back from the door, to not alarm anyone. A woman came to the door and barely opened it, not sure why this man was on her front stoop. I held up the wallet and (hoping she understood English) said "I found this in the parking lot of my store, could it be your daughter's - its listed to this address?". She was stunned and took it, not entirely sure what was going on but she said "This is my daughter's". I finished the conversation with "I didn't have a phone number so thought I would just bring it over, hope that is OK". As I turned to leave she fully opened the door and stepped out to shake my hand and said "THANK YOU VERY MUCH".

Gotta Pay it Forward, each and every day.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: My good deed for the day

I always love to hear of someone treating a stranger like I would love to be treated!

Thanks for sharing Duane

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Came back from a quick trip to the Post Office to find a woman's wallet in front of my store in the parking lot. Opened it up and it had cash, credit cards and all the other stuff one expects to find, along with an ID from San Salvador. Luckily there was a Virginia Driver's license with a hispanic woman's name I can't pronounce on it. No contact phone or email, and Googling the search of the address yielded no further information. I could hold it and see if someone comes in, call the police and turn it over to them, or just take it over to the address on the driver's license, which is about a mile away. I knew whomever owned it would be very much missing it.

I decided to just drive it over, and it was on an unfamiliar street I didn't recognize, even though I've been in this area 32 years. When I got there, I realized why - in the very back of the poorest of poor trailer parks in the region. Not a road or part of town I would ever go into. I knocked on the door of the trailer and took several steps back from the door, to not alarm anyone. A woman came to the door and barely opened it, not sure why this man was on her front stoop. I held up the wallet and (hoping she understood English) said "I found this in the parking lot of my store, could it be your daughter's - its listed to this address?". She was stunned and took it, not entirely sure what was going on but she said "This is my daughter's". I finished the conversation with "I didn't have a phone number so thought I would just bring it over, hope that is OK". As I turned to leave she fully opened the door and stepped out to shake my hand and said "THANK YOU VERY MUCH".

Gotta Pay it Forward, each and every day.

Class act Duane.

You very nice of you. Not sure I would have gone into an area I was unfamiliar with alone, I probably would have mailed it. But I am sure she appreciated getting it back right away. Nice work. ��