Thread: New member from Arcadia, CA

Fetchung Guest

Default New member from Arcadia, CA

I just moved from Dallas and now reside in Southern California. I am a novice when it comes to furniture. I looked at several department stores before I found this forum, and because of it am considering a HM purchase. I have 3 kids 6 years old and under, and my kids are as active as you can imagine, so I expect spills and accidents.

My wife likes to rest her head on the sofa without slouching, and so anything under 38 inches is out of the question. We are of course price conscious as well. A local stores, Feddes, has both BY and HM, but my wife fell in love with HM the moment she sat on one. Her favorite is the Sundance, but the costs are a little too prohibitive at this time. We are looking at the September as an alternative. Also, my wife wants a leather that is durable for the kids, in a chocolate or dark brown without any red, but won't be confused for black. With the above info, are there any suggestions in terms of leather choices? Would the September be appropriate?

I enjoy this board immensely, and am looking forward to interacting with you in the future. Thanks for the help in advance.

Default Re: New member from Arcadia, CA

Welcome to the forum! You'll want to stay in the Town and Country promotional line to keep the price friendly and get a finished leather which is fully protected. The # 4716 Sundance is in that promo in Berkshire Harness @ $ 3,499 + Delivery (about $ 320). That color should be right where you want to be on the piece, too. Sundance series are always pricer because they have a lot of detail work on the sides and back, plus the front of the sofa is curved. And curves cost in the furniture business.

# 9749 September in Document Copper will work @ $ 2,309, so will # 9503 Kodiak in Document Saddle @ $ 2,659, and the # 1724 Journey in Document Tobacco @ $ 2,659.

Those are my prices, your local dealer will set his own, but it gives you a starting point. All the above sofas will sit similar to the Sundance, though the Sundance has a little steeper back pitch to it and will set you in it a tad deeper.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fetchung Guest

The Sundance is both exquisite and a really comfortable sofa. The Kodiak is just as comfortable. I haven't sat in a Journey, but looking at the dimensions on the H&M website, it sounds like it would feel similar to the Kodiak. My wife liked all your choices except for the September, so I dropped it from my list. The Kodiak has a shorter arm, so I crossed that off my list as well. I don't think i could go wrong with any of the other two choices.

Can you tell me a little about the leather? Does their inclusion in the Town and Country promotional mean these leather options (Berkshire and Document) are inferior in quality or perhaps too uniform in color? What are the drawbacks to these leather options?

If we went for another leather option for the 4716 and 1724 with the criteria (protected and a dark brown) that I listed in my initial post, what would the price be, and which leather would you recommend?

Sorry for the myriad of questions!

The hides offered on the Town and Country program are the same leathers that are on the main line handles (with the exception of "Alberta"). They are not inferior in any way or second quality. You can buy in the T&C program with complete confidence that your furniture will be made to the same standards as one that has a class 5 custom leather on it. The Town and Country collection is designed to be very aggressive on price, and generate volume, so leathers are limited to only a few choices on a given frame for that reason.

To give you an idea of price structure, lets use the # 4716 Sundance Sofa and see what my prices would be (mailorder, does not include home delivery or shipping):

T&C Berkshire Harness (a class 2 hide): $ 3,499
    T&C In any other Berkshire color: $ 3,639

- off the main handle -

In class 1: $ 3,213
    In class 2: $ 3,815
    In class 3: $ 4,165
    In class 4: $ 5,124
    In class 5: $ 6,356

The # 1724 Journey done the same way:

T&C Document Tobacco (a class 2 hide): $ 2,659
    T&C In any other Document color: $ 2,939

- off the main handle -

In class 1: $ 3,262
    In class 2: $ 3,864
    In class 3: $ 4,249
    In class 4: $ 4,991
    In class 5: $ 6,167

What do I recommend? That's tough as its very subjective. Certainly the T&C promo is highly attractive from a price point and if you can find something you like in a leather than you like on that promo - its the way to go. But I'd not buy something I don't really like just to save the money, because this furniture lasts a very long time and long after you forgot what you paid for the sofa, you're still looking at it and using it every day. So you have to get what works for YOU, and within your budget, and in your room decor. Having said that, if I wanted a Dark Brown I'd not buy Document (too processed for my taste) and the Berkshire is not elegant enough for the Sundance (again, just my opinion).

I'd be looking at Fenway, Garfield, Milan and Upton off the main handles for Dark Browns, and possibly be willing to forgo a tad of protection for a more elegant hide. Milan is terrific, see the photos posted by John C. of his new H&M in that leather:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=827
    Duane Collie

Fetchung Guest

I just received the swatches. The Garfield Chestnut is stunning. However I am a little concerned that it is not protected. With 3 kids under 6, I am concerned of the leather's durability. The Sundance in Garfield Chestnut would be exquisite. The Fenway Saddle is also appealing. Yet, when I use my finger nails and slide them across the swatch, the leather seems to be a little too delicate. The Antelope Saddle is durable but lacks the wow factor of the Garfield. Alright Duane, I need some advice. With what I've told you the past few weeks, if it were you, which would you choose? Help!

This comes down to a matter of personal preference. Garfield Chestnut is very rich looking, and I think probably the nicest of the hides that has some protection on it. It shows off rich undertones, fat wrinkles, healed scars, yet does not have the fragility of Quintessence or Montana. Its designed so show Patina and age well, like something you would see at a Ralph Lauren store. That's why you will see it pick up and retain some marks and light scratches. Think Stone Washed Jeans vs. Standard ones that take 300 washings to get that lived in look.

Antelope on the other hand, will be no more durable than Garfield, but will be more resistant to showing markings of daily living. It will have the same lifespan (20 Years +), but is going to spend most of its life looking close to the day it was delivered.

The 'hot' look and trend right now is towards leathers like the Garfields, and the heavy pull-ups and burnished leather. It gives a relaxed, lived-in chic look.

Do you want your new blue jeans stone-washed (Garfield) or dark blue denim (Antelope)? If I were buying it for my house (even with kids) I'd buy Garfield, but that's just me. The Antelope will also look gorgeous, just in a different way.
    Duane Collie

Fetchung Guest

Great way to answer my question (stone washed versus dark blue denim). That helped quite a bit. Now last question about leathers. We're also looking at the Columbia. I've read on the forum that the Columbia is your favorite class I leather. How do you think they would look on the 4716 Sundance?

The Columbia is a great Class 1 leather, the best of the class 1's. But the Sundance is a jazzy sofa, and it should be sporting a finer leather IMHO. The minimum hide I would put on a Sundance would be a class 2 such as Kipling, Weston, Milan, Upton, Fenway.

I just got a Chesterfield Sofa in the store today in Antelope Wine. I'll post photos tomorrow so you can get s sense of what Antelope looks like.
    Duane Collie