Thread: Class of Leathers

Fetchung Guest

Default Class of Leathers

I've read the H&M brochure on the 4S's of leather, but don't understand what differentiates between the 5 classes of leather. Is it availability? pricing? or is there some other factor?

Default Re: Class of Leathers

Classes of leather are just Price Categories, nothing more. Least expensive (Class 1) to most expensive (Class 5). Keep in mind too, that just because it costs more does not mean its a superior leather to one in a lower class. It just means it costs more. With the Euro being expensive to the dollar, any hide from that are is going to be more costly than one that comes out of Argentina, for example.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

When I was shopping here, I took the information from this thread (on H&M leathers), looked at the swatch images on the H&M site, picked out some that had the qualities I liked, and got some swatches (and wood samples) so I could actually see them in real life before placing an order. The order's not here yet, but I'm anticipating a happy ending.

Fetchung Guest

Thank you Duane, and good idea Aaron. I didn't know you could get wood samples. Do I contact H&M directly, or go through a dealer for the swatches and wood samples?

If you're working with a local dealer, they probably have them right in the store. (I would be skeptical of a H&M or other high end dealer who had no swatches or wood samples for its furniture.) If you're working through Duane, you request them from him.

Aaron is correct. You have to go through a dealer to get samples. Typically its best to look on line and narrow down the request to 10 to 12 leathers. Wood is really dependent on the leather selection and not as important. Get your leathers down first, then follow up with wood if necessary.

BTW, if you would like to request swatches, please use PRIVATE MESSAGE (click on my handle) and do not use VISITOR MESSAGES. I don't check Visitor messages and they are too public.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.