Thread: High Point Furniture Market Recap Spring 2019

Default High Point Furniture Market Recap Spring 2019

I covered a lot of ground at the Spring High Point Market and picked up a new line made of reclaimed Oak from barns in the Midwest. One of my long time friends in the industry that also owns a retail store said I needed to check it out, they fly out of her store. It's an Amish family doing the product and their company is Urban Barnwood. Has a unique look to it, upscale rustic, made in Ohio.

http://urbanbarnwoodfurniture.com/#furniture

I did not take many photos like I do on many of my trips, because frankly its a lot of work to edit and post them here in the forum, and I don't seem to get much feedback on them one way or the other....

Here's a photo I did take, though. Two legends in the industry. Jimmy Moore of Hancock & Moore, one of two of the founding owners (now retired) and he's talking with designer Alan Price. Alan does much of the "cool" burnished leather furniture that you see at Hancock & Moore, but also does designs for other companies such as Sherrill, etc. Jimmy and I sat and chatted for about an hour together with Alan - fun times! Those two always leave me laughing....and Alan never ties his boots - I have a story about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	11818

And here's one of Alan's new projects, I liked this chair enough to buy it. That's a leather belt strap imbedded into the top of the arm on the chair - very cool. And of course, it sits great.

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	11819

One thing I did set up with Hancock & Moore is an idea I had. So many new homes and ones built in the past few years have kitchen counters set up as focal points of the home. While there are plenty of barstools out there, not many are all that high quality and nice to sit in. So I am bringing in a display unit, using a custom table built by Century Furniture and I will have (6) different Hancock and Moore Counter Stools around it for customers to try out. I will be the first retailer in the country to do this as I know people want to actually sit in them prior to purchase. While I can't show them all, I will have half-a-dozen around this table, so it will give a nice selection. One of those six will be this new one that H&M came out with at this Market (another Alan Price design) - Model 196-30 (doesn't have a name yet):

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	11820

Other new items I purchased for the floor will show up here in separate postings, including some new recliners from Bradington Young that I liked, an upholstered Queen bed from Taylor King, some product from Hooker, etc.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: High Point Furniture Market Recap Spring 2019

Here's four of the bar/counter stools I am bringing in to my project display. Should arrive in the next 30 days or less as they were from the Market Showroom. All Hancock & Moore.

Autumn Bar Stool

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	11821

Steele Farm in leathers you would not normally expect to see it in:

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	11822

Tatum Bar Stool:

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	11823

Viceroy Bar Stool

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	11824
    Duane Collie

Hancock and Moore has rolled out a series of sleep sofas in their YOUR WAY program, using the same mechanism as the most-execellent Taylor King Conner series. This one shown is a true King size unit, model # 92S Height is 27", Width is 90.5", Depth is 28.5" (Inside is 78" x 20", seat height 18.5") Manning Arm, Rounder Box Border Back, Small Block Foot. Grade 1 leather, NIRVANA CLOUD.

This is a large and heavy unit, cannot be carried up or down inside staircases. MSRP as shown is $ 11,085.

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	11833
    Duane Collie

Very nice, I love the Barstool in your first post!!!

Duane, I appreciate you posting the details of your visits to High Point and all the photos that go with it. When I first discovered this forum I went back and read many of the older reports and enjoyed seeing a large number of H&M photos both (a) all in one place, and (b) photographed in a somewhat more natural style than you’ll find on the H&M website.

Agree about the barstool. Is there a swivel available on that one?

The Urban Barnwood pieces are nice. Surprised since they don’t exactly seem like your style, but I’m guessing they’ll be a hit with the younger crowd.

Yes, all those barstools shown are swivels, they are just so well integrated into the frames that its not real apparent. I looked at a of of bar and counter stools at Market, trying to find some suitable that were less costly, but in the end I decided that the Hancock and Moore units so out-perform everything else I looked at that I decided to stay with them for the display. Others didn't seem as sturdy or as comfortable. In my own home the kitchen barstools are the most used pieces on a daily basis, even more so than the family room sofa and recliner and its smart to buy strong, sturdy units that will stand up over time.

You are exactly right on the Urban Barnwood, that's for the younger generation. I'll be 65-years-old this year, but one of the keys is you have to try to have product that appeals to all age groups not necessarily what appeals to my taste.
    Duane Collie

Is the Markle line of leather vegetable dyed? I am trying to find something that does not have chrome in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Brownin View Post
    Is the Markle line of leather vegetable dyed? I am trying to find something that does not have chrome in it.
    Yes, by definition all pure aniline leathers are vegetable-dyed, and those will be classed as unprotected leathers by Hancock and Moore,

If you are looking for super-clean leathers that are 100% Sustainable, then you want ones known as Declare Red List leathers. These are organic leathers that are as chemically free as they can possibly be. They are expensive, and come out of Europe. We have out first group of pieces coming in these new leathers next month in Madrid Spice, on a H&M Boho Sofa and chair. And the leather is fantastic, one of the finest I have ever seen. These typically are GR6 price levels at H&M, or higher.

Read more here if that interests you.

https://knowledgebank.materialbank.c...red-list-free/

https://declare.living-future.org/products/terra

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/leather/olive-tanned/

All the ones currently offered are here:

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/leathe.../olive-tanned/
    Duane Collie