Thread: High Point Furniture Market Recap Spring 2019

Threaded View

Default High Point Furniture Market Recap Spring 2019

I covered a lot of ground at the Spring High Point Market and picked up a new line made of reclaimed Oak from barns in the Midwest. One of my long time friends in the industry that also owns a retail store said I needed to check it out, they fly out of her store. It's an Amish family doing the product and their company is Urban Barnwood. Has a unique look to it, upscale rustic, made in Ohio.

http://urbanbarnwoodfurniture.com/#furniture

I did not take many photos like I do on many of my trips, because frankly its a lot of work to edit and post them here in the forum, and I don't seem to get much feedback on them one way or the other....

Here's a photo I did take, though. Two legends in the industry. Jimmy Moore of Hancock & Moore, one of two of the founding owners (now retired) and he's talking with designer Alan Price. Alan does much of the "cool" burnished leather furniture that you see at Hancock & Moore, but also does designs for other companies such as Sherrill, etc. Jimmy and I sat and chatted for about an hour together with Alan - fun times! Those two always leave me laughing....and Alan never ties his boots - I have a story about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	11818

And here's one of Alan's new projects, I liked this chair enough to buy it. That's a leather belt strap imbedded into the top of the arm on the chair - very cool. And of course, it sits great.

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	11819

One thing I did set up with Hancock & Moore is an idea I had. So many new homes and ones built in the past few years have kitchen counters set up as focal points of the home. While there are plenty of barstools out there, not many are all that high quality and nice to sit in. So I am bringing in a display unit, using a custom table built by Century Furniture and I will have (6) different Hancock and Moore Counter Stools around it for customers to try out. I will be the first retailer in the country to do this as I know people want to actually sit in them prior to purchase. While I can't show them all, I will have half-a-dozen around this table, so it will give a nice selection. One of those six will be this new one that H&M came out with at this Market (another Alan Price design) - Model 196-30 (doesn't have a name yet):

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	11820

Other new items I purchased for the floor will show up here in separate postings, including some new recliners from Bradington Young that I liked, an upholstered Queen bed from Taylor King, some product from Hooker, etc.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.