Thread: Re: H & M Sofas

Default Re: H & M Sofas

I have always wanted a sofa by Hancock and Moore. We finally did it, much to my utter regret. First, they sent the sofa without the nailhead trim and with flaws in the protected leather. They remade the sofa, and I just received it in June. Already, the finish is wearing off completely where my elbow rests (always in sleeves). Between the place where I purchased (not Duane's store, sadly) and Hancock and Moore themselves, it has been a living nightmare. Hancock and Moore will not return my call. The furniture store will send out a repairman, but what happens when my warranty is out? It will for certain just do the same thing again! Just a warning here; I do not believe that H&M is the product that they used to be. I am sorely disappointed and regret the $8000 purchase. Also, Duane warned me about fly-by-night delivery companies before I purchased, but I simply couldn't afford his delivery charges. Well, he was right! They showed up on first delivery and flat didn't bring the matching recliner! I never received an apology much less any expedited delivery! They called it an "honest" mistake! They told me that they run a truck every 2 weeks before I purchased. Turns out they only run a truck every 4-6 weeks. Think twice from whom you buy and what you buy!

Which model sofa did you purchase? Have photos showing the affected areas?

The way the furniture industry works, and why you are not getting return calls from Hancock & Moore is because the dealer you purchased it from is H&M's customer. You are the dealer's customer. When a consumer calls into Hancock and Moore they make note of it and then call the dealer to tell them there is an issue to be addressed. They will not work direct with the consumer if the dealer is still in business. So your point of contact is your selling dealer. That's why it's so important to know the reputation of the selling dealer in case you have an issue, they are the ones who will be your contact point.

"Protected" or "Finished" leathers are painted, and paint can and does wear away be it on a sofa, car, house, or tennis shoe. That's fairly common. The leather is not "protected", (which many people think means "armoured") it simply means its a painted finish and spills roll off it. Now thinking about paint, we all know the more rigid a coated item is, the better the paint stays on. If you have a flexible surface, its more prone to showing wear or having small flakes chip off. Again, those white tennis shoes you buy that are flexing hold their white paint for about 6 months, then its starts deteriorating. Aniline dyed leathers (Unprotected) don't suffer from chipping and topcoat loss as they are dyed. However they can stain and are sensitive to sunlight fading. Leather covers are never warrantied, only the frame / suspension / foam etc. One in a great while we see a defective batch of hides where the topcoat sheds, but that's very, very rare. Hides and leathers themselves are sourced from third party suppliers across the industry - so there is a commonality on the above among all brands.

The solution on finished leathers is to touch up the paint over time if it bothers you. On Aniline dyed hides keep them out of the sun and try to avoid oily saturation.

As to delivery companies, there are many really bad ones out there and a few good ones. The good ones have to charge more (and they are still not perfect)

Post some photos if you want to evaluate your pieces some more.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

It's a sad state for any furniture that costs that much to have the finish peel off in just two months. I only use my laptop and do not have pics downloaded but may try it on my phone cuz I so respect your opinion.

Hasn't Duane mentioned heat being an issue in reference to stains & damage? I know he's said that's an absolute when it comes to wood & to never directly put hot items on wood as that will surely result in damage.

Perhaps the heat from your laptop is negatively affecting your finished leather? Are you just resting the running laptop directly on the leather arm of the sofa? It may be getting too hot & messing with the painted finish?

Try not drying that anymore & see if you get different results. Try using a tray table or a laptop pillow desk.

Duane can speak more on whether this is what's causing the repeated damage issues.

Nope! I have a fan tray under my laptop, and the damage was on the exact place where my elbow rests. Had it repaired; now I'll hope that it lasts. Thank you for the reply though. That's certainly something to remember. Also, my laptop stays in my lap, never on the arm of the couch.
    Last edited by GrannyPatriot; 10-18-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: need to clarify

Hmm, that is strange. Wonder if it's something in whatever soap or a body lotion you use? It can't just be from your natural perspiration or oils...at least, I don't think it could, but you never know?

I do think it sounds like your selling dealer is acting like a jerk in this situation, not being very helpful. Hopefully, that's gotten better.

This actually sounds like a fairly easy fix if it is only in that spot. They make arm caps that you can buy separately to protect the arm. They are pricey but they match your sofa, they are removable and easily replaceable. If you don't want to go that route, you could just place a small throw or something over the arm where you sit all the time. It is removable, washable, and inexpensive. Since the piece has been repaired, now is the time to do something to prevent it from happening again. I bought a leather piece to protect where my head is, but actually use it over the arm since I like to use throws to sit on anyway. I tend to sit in the same spot all the time, and its where I have my morning coffee, etc. So I was concerned about wear and spills in that one spot. When I am eating/drinking I make sure the throw and leather piece are in place, and when I want to, I put the throw away so the room and sofa the looks a little less casual and "lived in". It has worked so far.

I never sit with without sleeves, so it can't be soap, lotion or anything. It is indeed strange. We had it repaired and just pray that it doesn't come back. Thanks so much for responding. I had our local awesome repair person tell me that H & M has really gone downhill in recent years.

Hi Sue, thank you so much for the suggestion. If it happens again, I will definitely consider that route. I am not wild about anything that doesn't look like part of the sofa, even when it's just us at home. But I may have no choice eventually.