Thread: Your "want" list

Sarah Guest

Default Your "want" list

What are you shopping for (or saving for) right now?

Right now we are working on our main living room.

shopping/buying/purchasing stage:
    1. A 40x60 oil painting. I am an art lover. I have commissioned a special piece for my living room and it should be complete around Christmas.
    2. 1 or 2 H&M chairs in a medium or dark brown leather.

saving up $$$ to purchase in the future stage:
    3. New living room tables. Unfortunately, DH & I have trouble agreeing on the style.
    4. A new area rug

soster Guest

I'm trying to budget my time to build a modern leather headboard. I have some outdoor projects to wrap up first, and an upgrade to my sump pump, some bathroom tiling, then a thorough garage cleaning/organization, then I can build the headboard :-)

There's this beauty of a new leftover 2008 Porsche Cabriolet C2S down the road at the dealership that I have a photo of my iPhone and gaze at wistfully. I showed to my wife the other day.

She just started laughing.....

BUY MORE FURNITURE!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

estreya Guest

I'm saving for a table to put between two new H&M leather chairs. Right now, i've got a fairly hideous Craigslist-find table between them, moved down from the guest room. It's just a temporary solution.

McCall Guest

Hm, maybe one of Duane's Tiger Eye Maples to go between there?

soster Guest

Well, I did upgrade my sump pump....

eft Guest

I found a lamp by Kinzig Design that I'm dreaming of.....

Sarah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    What are you shopping for (or saving for) right now?

Right now we are working on our main living room.

shopping/buying/purchasing stage:
    1. A 40x60 oil painting. I am an art lover. I have commissioned a special piece for my living room and it should be complete around Christmas.
    2. 1 or 2 H&M chairs in a medium or dark brown leather.

saving up $$$ to purchase in the future stage:
    3. New living room tables. Unfortunately, DH & I have trouble agreeing on the style.
    4. A new area rug
    Here's the progress so far:

Item #1: (art) complete! We decided to change the size to a 36" x 48" to better fit the space but it is now finished & hanging in my living room.

Item #2: (chair) finalizing decision stage--this has been an ordeal! My husband detests furniture shopping so getting him out to the furniture store to sit in chairs is like pulling teeth. We finally have it narrowed down to 2 chairs (one is a Bradington-Young, the other is a Hancock & Moore). Once he makes his final pick, I will be placing an order w/ Duane!

Item #3: (Living room tables) In progress. I can't afford to furnish the entire room/house all at once but I will probably buy 1 or 2 pieces in the next couple of weeks. I plan to purchase a tiger-maple piece from Duane in combination with the chair mentioned above.

Item #4: (wool area rug) complete! I really wanted a hand-knotted rug but ended up purchasing a hand-tufted instead. In the size that we needed (approx. 10' x 14') the hand-knotted variety far exceeded our budget. I do love the look of my new rug though!

I am so very ready to feel like this room is pulled together & more or less "complete" -- we are getting so close!

That's the way to do it, Sarah. Buy a few quality pieces a year, one or two and then keep adding as the years go by. The vast majority of my customers shop like that, and they have a nicely furnished home a dozen years down the road. The thing is, with quality pieces if you take just reasonable care with them they last and look good through the years. There's no value in buying junk that breaks down in a few years of use, that's just money thrown away. Learn what makes a quality piece and buy them as you can comfortably afford to do so makes you way ahead of getting a lot of pieces from the La-Z-Boy store just to fill the room.

When money is tight, scan Craigslist or go to Estate Sales for bargains. Used furniture has severe depreciation, so you can often find good deals this way just make sure the pieces are complete and sturdy (and if upholstery, they have original cushions in them).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.