Thread: Carolina Custom Leather

Default Carolina Custom Leather

I have priced a Carolina Custom Leather Durango Sectional that is 111" x 141". Does anyone have an opinion of this brand? It is priced right at $10,000.

Default Re: Carolina Custom Leather

I personally don't enough about Carolina Customer Leather to speak to the brand. I see their website "About" shows all the hallmarks of well-made furniture. Their website also shows a blatant rip-off of the Hancock and Moore Sundance original design right down to the nail placement on their home page. I find that a little tacky to copy another makers styles but that doesn't mean they don't build well. $ 10K is about the going rate for a well-made leather sectional, depending on the leather grade.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-04-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I personally don't enough about Carolina Customer Leather to speak to the brand. I see their website "About" shows all the hallmarks of well-made furniture. Their website also shows a blatant rip-off of the Hancock and Moore Sundance original design right down to the nail placement on their home page. I find that a little tacky to copy another makers styles so blatantly, but that doesn't mean they don't build well. $ 10K is about the going rate for a well-made leather sectional, depending on the leather grade.
    Thank you. I wish I knew the grade of the leather. Nothing says what it is or nothing on the website even gives you their leather choices.

Here are some photos of it. It's described as, "Gorgeous chocolate brown color distressed sectional with comfort and great style. 100% top grain leather. Excellent craftsmanship and made in the U.S.
    10′ x 8′ "

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brumbaughs_Oct19_83611.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	12703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brumbaugh_20996.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	12704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brumbaughs_Oct19_83366.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	12705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brumbaughs_Oct19_83439.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	12706

Is that for a NEW unit or a pre-owned one? The one in the photos appears like it may be used or an older floor model? I'm a bit confused here.

That's a pull-up leather in the photos, most likely genuine wax and oil infused aniline, however there are some "fake" pull-ups out there that are still real top grain, but not aniline pull-ups. The price difference is about $ 2K between the imitation and the real thing. I can't really tell by the pictures, I'd have to put hands on to see what it might be. Or ask the seller and see if they know, there is a difference in the way they feel and age, and the price of the hides.

See this area circled in yellow in the photo? This is a very "loose" style where the leather is folded over and simply tacked into place with the spaced nail. I don't care for this myself, this should be stitched and seamed, but if you like this de-constructed look then just know that's what you are getting. Most better companies don't send out pieces with this method, but I guess you could call it shabby/chic. This is kind of what you expect to see on a inexpensive import.

Views:	297 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	12713

Let's look at one other thing on this unit, again, circled in leather. I'm not out to bash this build, but this is an educational forum first and foremost, so let me show you something. The most expensive part of a sectional is the hide itself, the second most expensive component is the foam. And this maker is skimping on the foam. Look inside the yellow circles and see how flat it is? Better makers foam those hard edges, to give it "cush" instead of a hard edge. You can tell because the foamed ones will have a more puffy look rather than flattened out on surfaces. On the arm, you can even see a horizontal imprint of the wood on the frame. Now, a lot of makers do this in their builds, but not the ones charging $ 10,000. This is what i would expect to see in a piece that retails around $ 7,000.

Views:	304 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	12714

Here's a Hancock and Moore Ricki sofa, and also their Arrington sofa which are typical of how they build. See the foam under the panels and the stitched arms? That's what you are looking for in a high-quality build piece. Trust your eyes when you shop, and look at the details of a piece.

Name:	Rick4.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	12715

Name:	arrington.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	12716

Between the closure method on the arms and the lack of foam secondaries, I don't think there is value in this piece at $ 10K, sorry. Just my opinion from photos you have supplied.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-04-2020 at 11:29 PM.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Is that for a NEW unit or a pre-owned one? The one in the photos appears like it may be used or an older floor model? I'm a bit confused here.

That's a pull-up leather in the photos, most likely genuine wax and oil infused aniline, however there are some "fake" pull-ups out there that are still real top grain, but not aniline pull-ups. The price difference is about $ 2K between the imitation and the real thing. I can't really tell by the pictures, I'd have to put hands on to see what it might be. Or ask the seller and see if they know, there is a difference in the way they feel and age, and the price of the hides.

See this area circled in yellow in the photo? This is a very "loose" style where the leather is folded over and simply tacked into place with the spaced nail. I don't care for this myself, this should be stitched and seamed, but if you like this de-constructed look then just know that's what you are getting. Most better companies don't send out pieces with this method, but I guess you could call it shabby/chic. This is kind of what you expect to see on a inexpensive import.

Views:	297 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	12713

Let's look at one other thing on this unit, again, circled in leather. I'm not out to bash this build, but this is an educational forum first and foremost, so let me show you something. The most expensive part of a sectional is the hide itself, the second most expensive component is the foam. And this maker is skimping on the foam. Look inside the yellow circles and see how flat it is? Better makers foam those hard edges, to give it "cush" instead of a hard edge. You can tell because the foamed ones will have a more puffy look rather than flattened out on surfaces. On the arm, you can even see a horizontal imprint of the wood on the frame. Now, a lot of makers do this in their builds, but not the ones charging $ 10,000. This is what i would expect to see in a piece that retails around $ 7,000.

Views:	304 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	12714

Here's a Hancock and Moore Ricki sofa, and also their Arrington sofa which are typical of how they build. See the foam under the panels and the stitched arms? That's what you are looking for in a high-quality build piece. Trust your eyes when you shop, and look at the details of a piece.

Name:	Rick4.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	12715

Name:	arrington.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	12716

Between the closure method on the arms and the lack of foam secondaries, I don't think there is value in this piece at $ 10K, sorry. Just my opinion from photos you have supplied.

Thank you! The unit I was being quoted for was a new unit. These are just pictures they are showing on their website. I so appreciate the advice and education you provided me! Can you explain what you mean to me when you say "pull-up leather"? I was assured that it is a top-grain leather.

Duane Collie

Thank you so much!