Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and how it is affecting the furniture industry

Default Coronavirus and how it is affecting the furniture industry

From the CEO of Sun Delivery Service

If you have a distance delivery from The Keeping Room in progress or forthcoming, please note this message:

Aimee Boozer
    3:55 PM (1 hour ago)

Dear Valued Customer,

With the continuing development of information surrounding the Coronavirus and based on the feedback we are receiving from customers, effective today we are modifying our plans based on the latest information and customer requests. As of today, Sun Delivery will be offering a Threshold delivery for any customers already scheduled for delivery. If the customer would like to keep their scheduled date, we will deliver the product in the carton through the first doorway or leave it in a safe dry area as directed by the customer such as a garage or front porch. If the customer prefers a white glove delivery, we will hold the order to reschedule for a later date. At this time we are not offering a discounted rate for threshold delivery since the customer still has the option of a white glove delivery at a later date. We will also not be returning to complete a white glove delivery at a later date for customers who select the threshold delivery at this time. As we see how the situation progresses, we will be providing additional updates and welcome your feedback or input as well.

Our prayers are with you and your families during these uncertain times and please know we are committed to working with you to proceed in the way that best services and protects your company and your customers.

Best regards,
    Aimee
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Coronavirus and how it is affecting the furniture industry

I can't buy until after May 5th so I know it's impossible to tell the future...but every day that passes I start wondering if they will have us on a complete lock down by then. Hoping it does not get that bad!

Also wondering if it will make it more difficult for us to get a moving company to move our stuff. It is stressful having to worry about all these things along with all the other stuff we are supposed to be worried about.

It's dynamically changing. I am staying open regular store hours as long as I am allowed to be open. I have my Lysol and am wiping down the door handle to the store regularly, as well as the sales counter and computer I use on that counter for a "Catalog". I've only had less than half a dozen people come in the store the past few days however. We are still doing deliveries and business as usual.

Please do not come in the store if you have a cold / cough / or are not feeling well. I in turn will not be open if I start to pickup any hint of an illness. In either case, social distancing guidelines will apply in the store should you come to visit.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-17-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Duane Collie

Sounds reasonable. I hope this thing blows over sooner than later as I am sure it is taking a toll on many small businesses.

Hi Duane - Any idea if this is affecting production at H&M?

As of this afternoon, it is not affecting them, they are running at full pace and don't have any health crisis at the factories.

New orders are not coming in either distance or local (at least not at my store) If I'm getting no orders the past 9 days, other dealers are not either. The Hancock & Moore buyer is typically well-off, but I imagine they are watching the stock market implode and along with the other uncertainties avoiding elective purchases right now. I am still at the store and doing backlogs of paperwork that have gone pushed off to the side for quite some time and will have time to get updated price tags on everything.
    Duane Collie

The High Point Spring Furniture Market has been rescheduled to June 12th through the 14th, I received a notice about that yesterday.

I have to wonder who came up with that? According to the CDC and other health officials, we are looking at months, not weeks, with this Coronavirus pandemic. Even if the virus is subsiding by then, dealers are not going to Market to buy product, they will be suffering from a lack of business since early March and have full showrooms and empty bank accounts. They will be lucky to have any attendance at the usual October Market!
    Duane Collie

It seems to be a theme. Many stores are announcing closures "through the end of the month". My kid are currently out of school "for 2 weeks". I think people know the reality but don't want to feel like it's set in stone.

I agree with Duane that June seems a bit premature - just asking for another push/cancellation. Maybe some "fire" sales.

One other thing that is going on is for those getting furniture delivered, is whether or not to deliver into the home. And in that respect it works both ways, customers may not want delivery personnel to enter their home and on the other hand delivery companies don't know if they are walking into a contagious household. Companies like Sun Delivery are NOT delivering into homes right now, but will garage or porch drop, at my store (The Keeping Room) we are continuing to inside deliver unless the customer prefers we do not, then we can place in a garage, etc. I have a limited supply of N95 masks and nitrile gloves that I bought some time ago, I have those available to my two delivery guys if they want to use them.

With Sun Deliveries restriction, its worthwhile to note we can still ship to a commercial loading dock - often at a much lower price than home delivery - via specialized furniture carriers provided they can get a large 18-wheeler onto the commercial property. Then you can haul home from that point yourself. Also, many Moving and Storage companies will accept deliveries on your behalf and then you can contract with them to bring it the last mile into your home.
    Duane Collie