Thread: Sturdy sofa

Default Sturdy sofa

I am looking for a new sturdy sofa, something overstuffed, nonleather. I want to spend around $1500.00. What brands or makes would you recommend?

Default Re: Sturdy sofa

Sturdy and inexpensive are not really comparable. You can have one or another, but not both. For the highest level of construction you want a solid maple or ash frame and only a handful of makers do that now. 98% of the industry is plywood with varying degrees of plywood and attachment methods with the better sofas being in the mid $ 2K range and up. Why bother with a sturdy frame when the fabric covering on a $ 1,500 unit will likely only last 7 to 8 years? At that price point you will likely get a low to mid-grade unit that will last about as long as the fabric covering. Then dispose of and get another one. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Good advice and information. We will keep watch on fabrics, too. We get what we spend ( we are not buying at the Odd Lots and dollar stores etc. I have a grandson who would destroy cheap furniture).

Good Advice

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Sturdy and inexpensive are not really comparable. You can have one or another, but not both. For the highest level of construction you want a solid maple or ash frame and only a handful of makers do that now. 98% of the industry is plywood with varying degrees of plywood and attachment methods with the better sofas being in the mid $ 2K range and up. Why bother with a sturdy frame when the fabric covering on a $ 1,500 unit will likely only last 7 to 8 years? At that price point you will likely get a low to mid-grade unit that will last about as long as the fabric covering. Then dispose of and get another one. Good luck.
    Interested in this too.
    Is Lee Industries still one of the best in the upholstery biz?

I am thinking of getting a sofa. I have a Wesley Hall chair & Ottoman i will reupholster because i believe that is a solid frame.