Thread: Hancock and Moore # 6155 French Curve Sofa in Hyde Park Brownie Burnish w/Lace

Default Hancock and Moore # 6155 French Curve Sofa in Hyde Park Brownie Burnish w/Lace

When I'm asked what's my favorite sofa, I have to say this one, The Hancock and Moore # 6155 French Curve. There is nothing I don't like about this piece. The gentle arch of the back, tightly upholstered - the wide arm which is cushy and the perfect place to prop an iPad, and the custom hand-lacing on the arms as well. I prefer a supportive sofa to a soft one, and the French Curve hits that mark as well. The back is quite comfortable without the feeling of falling into back pillows, and it stays taut-looking year after year. This is the first one through the store in this leather, Hyde Park Brownie Burnished (an Italian Pull-up pure aniline, then hand burnished) and what a great look. Nail trim is TT/TTT and wood finish is Monarch. This is a sofa you would enjoy owning for 20 + years, they don't get much better than this. Definitely recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC4.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	13099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC2.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	13100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC3.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	13101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC5.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	13102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC6.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	13103
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Question Re: Hancock and Moore # 6155 French Curve Sofa in Hyde Park Brownie Burnish w/Lace

Hi Duane,

I am in the process of placing an order for the Hancock and Moore French Curve sofa. Unfortunately, I am in New York City and according to H&M there is not a single retail store that has this sofa in stock in all of NY, NJ or IL where my parents live. So, I am ordering the sofa fairly blind and have a couple question that maybe you can answer. I am actually trying to replicate the options used on the French Curve sofa in this post.

So far I have that it is Hyde Park Brownie Burnished with Monarch wood finish and TT/TTT nail trim.

My first question is on the seat cushions, the photos here show a bit of a crown to them. Do you have any idea what the seat cushion option was on this sofa? Currently, I have standard cushions chosen and I think I have the firm option. I am 6’2” and 200 lbs so firm seems like a good choice given I cant test it out but do the standard seat cushions have that crown?

Also related to the seat cushions, are the seats flippable? The seats on my current leather sofa are not flippable and the leather on the seat naturally wore out long before anything else so I am hoping these can be flipped over time.

The other question is related to burnishing. I have read your posts about people who are picky should not choose this option. Perhaps I am but if my sofa has burnishing like the sofa posted here I would be very happy. Is it possible to give some kind of direction on the order that is sent to H&M regarding burnishing? It is an art and I wish I could say I want the artist who did this work. In lieu of that, I think I read somewhere that you can state “light burnishing” or something like that on the order. Or could I provide these photos and ask that the burnishing look as much like this as possible?

Regarding the nail trim, does the order need to specify where the nail trim goes? I have seen a photo of the French Curve sofa that has the smaller nails outlining the back of the sofa but I am not sure whether or not that is standard.

Thank you in advance! Your posts here have been a big help, I wish you had a store up north.

Hans.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore # 6155 French Curve Sofa in Hyde Park Brownie Burnish w/Lace

I have that sofa in the store available now, no 6 month wait except the leather is HP Merlot Burnished, slightly more reddish. Delivery into NYC is not a big deal, either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-5693.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	13977

The one in the photo is Ultra Down seating, which is how I have mine configured at home as well. All sofas have that crown when brand new, it will flatten out with use.

No leather seat casings are flippable, they have to have a vent panel in the bottom to let air escape when sat upon. Leather is non-porous, unlike fabric.

Trying to direct the burnishing is like trying to tell an artist how to paint a painting. Usually it will just frustrate everyone involved, I do NOT recommend it.

Nail trim is in standard configuration, unless you want something special done. What you see is standard.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-15-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    Duane Collie

Default Re: Hancock and Moore # 6155 French Curve Sofa in Hyde Park Brownie Burnish w/Lace

Just a note, since the sofa you are getting has square cushions rather than "T" cushions, although they can't be flipped, they can be rotated. The middle seat usually gets the least amount of wear, so by rotating them you prevent the wear in the most used spots on the cushions. While I don't have this particular sofa, I do that on the one I do have.

The French Curve sofa has tapered corners, so no rotations are possible.
    Duane Collie

Oops, sorry.

Thank you for the responses! It is unfortunate that the seat cushions are not flippable (or rotatable). If they had to put a vent into the cushion I think they could put it in the back on the side so you could at least flip the cushion over. It is hard to see how the seat cushion will last twenty years with no flipping, even if you follow the cleaning and conditioning recommendations.

Anyway, I have read your Hancock and Moore Cushions post a few times now since I am afraid that not having the ability to sit on examples means I have made the wrong choice.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Moore-Cushions

I know cushions are a personal choice but if you had to recommend a type of cushion for someone who cannot go to a store to test the H&M options would you suggest the Ultra Down? I also indicated firm on my order but I am now thinking I have to change it to standard after reading in your post that H&M has changed the standard core from 16 oz to 21 oz. Do your sofas have the 21 oz core or the next one higher?

When I made the order I also was not aware of the option to ask for extra full so that the cushion has a crown to it. I think I like that but from what I can see in the photos you posted showing your French Curve sofas it looks like you didnt choose the extra full option. Do you think the extra full causes too much crown or maybe doesn't age well and results in too much puddling?

The photo of the French Curve sofa in your store looks great and it looks like it is not burnished, is that correct? If that is true I think I might have to try and change my order on this option as well.

Sorry for all the questions. I am somewhat stressed since my order is in and it is not pleasant to order something so expensive without seeing it in person.

The chance of wearing through a leather cover is pretty close to zero, so flippable casing are not a big deal, actually. You can have them make custom vent grommets into the cushions on the vertical sides and have the bottom fully upholstered but that’s a lot of extra cost for a feature you probably don’t really need.

Yes, my floor model is in Hyde Park Merlot Burnished leather.

Your selling dealer can assist you with cushion option choices.
    Duane Collie