Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidance on Sundance Recliner in Weston Cane Burnished

Default Guidance on Sundance Recliner in Weston Cane Burnished

Hi, all. I’m a couple of decisions away from ordering a Sundance recliner in Weston Cane Burnished. I’m seeking opinions on the following.

Color: I’ve found several pictures on the forum with this leather. All look a bit different, which is understandable given the burnished leather. However, I found a picture of an Author chair in Duane’s store and the leather appears much darker compared to chairs in the other photos. Perhaps it’s just the lighting. Which is a more accurate representation?

Color: What is the difference between light and extreme burnishing? Obviously, one is darker but I’m wondering how much so.

Nails: I'm unable to see nail samples at our local store. I found a picture of nailes I liked and Duane indicated the nails on that particular chair were burnished. Is this something they do for nails on all burnished leathers? I’m considering the R S nails.

Finish: I’m considering Pine, Florence, and Walnut. Which goes best with the Weston leather?

Cushions: Do you suggest down for the Sundance?

Thanks so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	13459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JessicaCharles.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	13460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rugby1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	13461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weston Cane.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	13462  

Default Re: Guidance on Sundance Recliner in Weston Cane Burnished

I don't know but I LOVE the color of that Author chair! Gorgeous!

Yes, the color most certainly does vary. They used to be more "amber" but now come through more brownish. It varies. Of those you have listed, the first recliner in the photos (Rugby Club) is the most recent. Three of those photos are outside, makes a big difference than taking a shot inside.

Keep in mind all burnished leathers are noisy. They sound like a creaky horse saddle when you use them. If you object to that, don't order a burnished leather. Yes, I generally recommend Ultra Down seats with burnished hides.

Extreme burnishing I am not a fan of, it looks artificial and over-done. I have never sold a piece in that Extreme set - but to each their own, right? I have not been able to get them to burnish over the nails in the past two years. The layout of the plant has changed and the nail trimmer is now the last stop before shipping/inspection so they don't want to take the pieces all the to the other end of the plant and downstairs where the burnishing department is - at least that's my read on it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks, Duane! Which finish blends the best with Weston Cane Burnished? I prefer a blend vs a contrast.

We'll just have to get used to the noise - it's a small sacfrice for beautiful leather! Thanks for the heads up!

I'm considering ordering a sofa as well, but I'm undecided on which one. I'm currently looking at Kent, Bradley, and Tavern as I don't want the sofa and chair to match. I know it's best to order pieces together so the burnishing can be similar. However, if I order the sofa later do you think the colors will at least blend? I realize they likely won't be an exact match and that's ok but I'd like them to look similar.

For floor models, I will usually specify MESA as the wood finish with Weston Cane Burnished.

How tall are you? Unless you are 6' 2" or taller, the Sundance may be more than you need. It's a massive chair. If under 6' 2" the Redford Recliner has the same look (different legs) and will fit you better, plus not look so dominant over lower back sofas like the Kent and Tavern units.

Each piece of Hancock and Moore has a flap of leather which we refer to as "flags". If you want to get a piece at a later date to somewhat match, you simply cut that off and send it to your dealer along with the order. We then mail it to H&M with the order and Melissa, who does the burnishing, will place it on her workbench when she burnishes your new piece and do the best she can to color match it.
    Duane Collie

That's a good point about the height, Duane. I didn't think about the Sundance looking massive against a lower back sofa. The recliner is for my husband and he is 6'1". I managed to find a Redford floor model near us so I'm dragging him to the store this week.

I'm now leaning against the Weston Cane. I saw Gaucho Mocha Burnished and it was beautiful. How does it compare to Cameo Brown? They look very similar.

On another note, does H&M sell leather by the yard? I have 4 dining chairs that I'd like to recover.

At 6' 1" he's going to find the Redford a great fit, and the scale is so much better to the Kent/Tavern series.

Gaucho Mocha is very handsome, and its pretty similar to Cameo Brown in feel. The Cameo Brown is more amber however. Remember that ALL burnished leathers are noisy and will "squeak", if you think you or your husband might object to that, then you should shop a different leather group (Pull-ups are also noisy).

You can buy H&M leather by the square foot, but quite honestly the price is terrible for cut leather. Best deals for small pieces of leather are on EBAY, if that's too sketchy for you, then I am pretty sure (but not positive) you can buy direct from Moore & Giles and avoid paying H&M a markup as well as a dealer like myself. Many of H&M's better leathers are from Moore and Giles.

Here's a page worth reading off their website

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/leathe.../requirements/
    Duane Collie

I’m very curious after looking at the Moore & Giles (M&G) website (link above) - - is the Traynham chair and sofa that M&G has advertised made by Handcock & Moore (H&M)? They look identical to H&M’s Boho chair and sofa. Are these the same pieces?

Other than M&G being a leather supplier to H&M, are there any additional business relationships between these two companies?

I don't have answers to those questions, sorry.
    Duane Collie

I managed to get my husband to the furniture store today. They didn't have a Sundance for him to try but they did have the Redford. He thought it was a very nice chair UNTIL he saw the Barron, which I wasn't even considering. He liked how the Barron sat him up straigter and he liked the height. He's had back survery and prefers to sit in a chair with more support.

So, a couple of questions...

Does the Sundance sit any straighter than the Redford? From what I can tell online, it looks like the pitch is about the same.

What are your thoughts on the Barron?

I wasn't considering the Sadler because I thought it would be too big, however, since he likes the Barron I'm wondering if the Sadler might work. I think it's a prettier chair.

Thanks for the info on the leather, Duane! I'll check out M&G.