Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Way Sectional Questions

Hybrid View

Question Your Way Sectional Questions

Hello Duane,
    Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
    1st post -- wanted to say THANK YOU for your forum and all of the great information here.

Although you've been kind enough to provide a quote, I thought my questions might be helpful to others who, like me, are searching for some answers to things. I have already done the "advanced search" and didn't see these answered anywhere on the site thus far.

We are looking at the Y13 (quarter round), Y21 and Y22 (left/right arm loveseats) in one of the promo leathers (Juno Smoke), which you explained that although was normally a Gr2 leather, in the promo was a Group 1 leather in terms of pricing. We will be getting the Narrow Track Arm, Straight bottom cushions and Square Box Border back cushions.

At the moment, we are debating Std depth and Deeper Depth (I'm 6'3", wife is 5'3") and for me, the deeper depth is much more comfortable. Any thoughts on std vs deeper?

Questions are:
    - is there an upcharge for Deeper Depth Your Way sectional? It did not appear so from your quote and from the literature I've read.

- what is the upcharge for qualux backs on a sectional? wondering what your experience is with this option -- other thing we're considering is the extra full option for backs (which you've said, and local dealer has said is N/C). Standard backs seem "mushy."

- we have contemporary home -- and will be asking to delete the welting on our order and in its place, ask for the Saddle Stitch. I know from reading here that this is a N/C option. because the leather we're getting is Protected, we're also worried about wear on any raised seams. Would you recommend asking to have saddle stitch on ALL SEAMS?

Lastly, given the time of year and the ongoing pandemic, wondering about what you are telling customers for timing of production? I'm thinking end of Feb or early/mid-March -- does that sound about right?

Duane, my thanks to you for all of your experience and insight you so willingly share with us!

Default Re: Your Way Sectional Questions

Glad to answer those questions for you.

Standard Depth and Deeper Depth are the same price, just has to be specified. I believe your wife may not like the Deeper Depth at 5' 3", but you would have to ask her, also it depends on whom is going to use the sofa the most. Frequently I find the ladies go to the sofa, men to their chair or recliner.

Qualux back is not something I see very often, perhaps one customer every decade orders it. I have no experience with it, never tried one out. That would add (at my store) $ 305 to the cost of that sectional to order in that three-piece sectional. Should be fine, I just can't tell you how they might feel.

No welts is easy to do on the seats and backs (no charge) , more complex on the entire piece and there would most likely be an upcharge to do every panel that way - I would have to quote it through H&M Production. That can also lead to some edges especially at the bottom of the piece that might now look as finished. I'd not necessarily go that route of the whole piece, however its fairly common to do it on the seat and back cushions which are the friction areas.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane,
    Thank you for the quick reply to my questions. In our particular case, there is no chair where the sectional is located (not enough space - wall opposite the sectional is essentially a wall of glass sliders) -- hence, our tug of war over the depth of the sectional!

Also appreciate your insights on the qualux backs (interesting that you've not had experience w/them, leads me to believe this is NOT a good option to consider, so that in itself is quite helpful too).

I've got to re-look at the seams -- agree that backs/bottom cushions would get the most wear -- also concerned about the seams on the arms. I think we might put the order in for all saddle stitch and see what H&M comes back with (in terms of any upcharge or whether they can simply do any surface where there might be contact from skin on a regular basis).

On the Qualux backs, dealers don't show them on the floor (so they almost never get ordered by customers) because there are no floor models shown. That's a pay item for the dealer, whereas we usually get free Ultra Downs for floor stock only if we want them. So you will see standard and Ultra Down on floor displays for that reason. I don't always order my floor models with Ultra Down, because in many applications I prefer the standard cores.

I'd not be overly concerned with welt trim wear. My experience shows its negligible for most people who clean and condition their leather regularly. If you want to submit for a quote, they are so busy at H&M it may take a week to hear back on a price. We require a diagram with arrows exactly where you want what, however.

The only way to totally prevent wear and sag on cushions is to not use the piece. Just like a pair of shoes, they will look best if not worn!
    Duane Collie

Wanted to update this thread for anyone thinking of ordering an H&M Your Way sectional.
    Duane placed our order on 12/3 - it was delivered yesterday (2/8/2021).
    Considering the ongoing pandemic and the holidays, this was incredibly fast.

Our order consisted of the Armless Quarter Round corner piece plus a LAF and RAF loveseat.
    Leather was Juno Smoke (grade 2, but priced at grade 1 in the Your Way promotion). This is a finished leather.
    Since our home is contemporary, we did not want welting on the seat cushions or backs.
    We ordered "saddle stitch" - H&M called this "Double Needle" stitch.
    We also ordered the deeper depth (I'm 6'3") and the 21 ounce Qualux seat cushions (Q21), standard back cushions.
    The rest of the order was Track Arm, Straight Cushion with Square Box Border back cushions.
    No nail trim.

What a beautiful sectional!!!!
    We are exceptionally pleased with the way this turned out -- even beyond my very high standards.
    The tags stapled underneath each piece clearly denoted the maple wood frame.
    What a great feeling to know we ordered and rec'd a top quality piece, made by Americans in America.
    Yes, it wasn't cheap. But it also wasn't expensive, all things considered.
    To look at all of the work that went into this piece made me really marvel -- all of the hides that needed to be cut, matched, sewn, pulled tight, and finished with care and a true quality feel.

A couple of other notes -- although I checked into having this trucked LTL to a local white glove delivery service, I decided to forgo the hassle of coordinating this and simply used Duane's preferred delivery service he's used for years, Sun/America West. I did price out and it was virtually a wash. What I was concerned about was having our 3 piece sectional taken out of their H&M shipping crates/boxes and transported in padding and delivered.

Much to my surprise and DELIGHT -- our sectional arrived yesterday in the very big white glove box truck IN THEIR ORIGINAL SHIPPING CRATES/BOXES!!!! I said a silent prayer of thanks because I honestly got little sleep the night before it arrived, thinking the worst was going to happen. In spite of the near-zero temps, I went outside in my coat and hat and watched/directed the 2 delivery guys as they proceeded to unbox/unpack each piece.

One note here -- they needed a #3 Philips head driver (they didn't have, but I happened to have a pack of Milwaukee #3 bits in my tool box which I gave them. Standard Philips is a #2 but the screws H&M used were clearly meant for the larger #3 head). It was a very easy process to unscrew the wood pallet from each piece, unbox and bring inside. Other than a few very minor scratches (certainly left the factory that way), each piece was in near-perfect condition. My hope is to get a touch up kit from Duane or H&M to touch up those few spots.

Bottom line -- I don't know if everyone's shipping will be as positive as mine, but the simple fact that mine arrived in the H&M shipping box/crate was literally a gift from above as I knew the pieces would be in as perfect condition as could possibly be imagined.

We gave the sectional a maiden TV run last night -- super comfortable and really glad we got the firmer seat cushions as they definitely provided lots of support.

All in all, I have had a TERRIFIC experience working with Duane to order our sectional.
    Duane, thank you for answering our questions and getting our order in promptly and arranging for its delivery.
    We are super-pleased and wanted everyone to know.
    Here's a few pics FYI. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Your Way Sectional Juno Smoke.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	13693

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Your Way Sectional Juno Smoke 2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	13694

Hi DeereZT,

Love the clean look of your sectional. My wife and I are curious about the "paddedness" of the arms. I like the look of the track arm but is it something you could lay on? Or would you need a pillow propped up against the arm if you were laying down on the couch.

Also, did you consider 2 of the your way sofas or a sofa and love seat combination? We are wondering how comfortable the corner seat is and if there is any motion in the unit overall versus having 2 separate pieces.

Do you feel like you would want an ottoman with the deeper seat of the couch?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!!

Cheers,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
    Hi DeereZT,

Love the clean look of your sectional. My wife and I are curious about the "paddedness" of the arms. I like the look of the track arm but is it something you could lay on? Or would you need a pillow propped up against the arm if you were laying down on the couch.

Also, did you consider 2 of the your way sofas or a sofa and love seat combination? We are wondering how comfortable the corner seat is and if there is any motion in the unit overall versus having 2 separate pieces.

Do you feel like you would want an ottoman with the deeper seat of the couch?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!!

Cheers,

Jason
    Jason -- Duane is correct -- the arms do have some padding but you'd definitely need a pillow to lay your head on them. We never considered a sofa/loveseat combo -- I'm 6'3" and absolutely love the corner seat (so does my older daughter when she is home to visit, she's 5'10"). No ottoman needed if you put yourself in the corner seat and stretch out your legs on the sectional. There is no motion whatsoever in the unit, as Duane stated, there are clips that securely connect each piece together and they don't move around at all, even on the wood floor.

Personally, I LOVE the deeper seats and the firmer cushions we ordered and if we had to do it all over again, I would order the same way. I would say that if you have the room, an ottoman would be a nice add. In our case, we have a square coffee table that is in front of the sectional pieces and many times that is used as an "ottoman" albeit with a pillow to prop up feet. IMO, there isn't room for both an ottoman AND a coffee table but if in your setting you are simply using end tables (we don't have the space on either end for that), an ottoman would be a nice addition.

Any other questions, happy to answer. I'd also suggest avoiding the welting on the cushions (as noted earlier) and go for the saddle stitch. Makes the cushions very comfortable as there is no welting to rub against skin or clothing and IMO really enhances the look of the cushions.

Good luck, we are super happy with our sectional!

Nice color! Sounds like is went great and glad your family is happy.

Track arms never have much padding, you're going to want a pillow. I will say that Hancock and Moore does put a bit more pad on their track arms than any of the other makers we carry, but that's still a 90 degree edge when all is said and done.

Sectionals are a "look", that corner is not all that functional. Kids and dogs love them, however. Cost of a sectional and a Sofa/Loveseat are about equal within a given style. Alligator clips on the pieces make sure there is not movement in the pieces, yet are easily unclipped if you wish to relocate the sectional.

Ottomans are great for Movie nights / Football games.
    Duane Collie

Thank you DeereZT!!

Good to know about the arms...we will look at the other options (maybe rolled or shelter) that would be more pillow like.

I'm 6'2" so that's very exciting about your love of the depth. When sitting with your feet on the floor, is the seat back high enough that your head is supported by the back cushion? My current couch is 40" high but only 21.5" deep vs the 38" height and 24.5" depth of the deeper Your Way. I have great head support with my current couch but I wonder if the depth will make up for at least an inch of the lower height.

Did you look at the York sectional? That has a 26" depth so that was also interesting....although not in the current T&C program.

Finally, did you make any specific requests about the depth or other measurement when you placed your order? It seems there is an allowance for up to 2" of difference in any dimension. That could result in the deeper 24.5" Your Way being close to a standard depth couch at 22.5" which would defeat the purpose of us ordering this model lol. Did you measure your couch to see how close the depth, height, and length were to what the build dimensions were?

Thanks so much for helping us with your real life experience...this forum is so empowering!!

Jason