Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusion: which model HM sofa?

greenmoser Guest

Smile Re: Confusion: which model HM sofa?

oh, and my favorite local ice cream is Buffalo Tracks --mini Reeses cups with chocolate swirled through vanilla ice cream!! Yum !!

Default Re: Confusion: which model HM sofa?

I'm going through the same decision process greenmoser - but am leaning towards the evening simply due to the extra length to be able to fully stretch out. Hoping it's comfy as I don't have one any where near me to try it out..

I'm bringing in an Evening sofa for another forum member in Philly, she's going to drive down to come try it out. You're a bit too far unless you happen to be in the Wash DC area on business, etc., but I have one landing before Christmas I believe.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

greenmoser Guest

Rob, I can't try one out either! I've called all over western NY and parts of PA but everyone seems to only carry the Austin and City sofa. I was able to sit in two recliners, Miller and Journey. I loved the Miller but it was a little small for my husband. When he sat in the Journey he said "this is the chair" so we are definitely going with that. My issue is the Evening or Journey sofa. Both look like they would go with the chair really well. Like you I like the fact that the Evening is a little wider and I LOVE the styling. I just keep hearing how the Journey is built for comfort. The measurements on depth, seat height, back height are all within like a 1/2 inch so you would think they would sit really similar. I think the deciding feature might be the back cushions. I think the semi-attached are going to be more supportive and I have back issues. Plus we like the always "perfect" look and don't want to be plumping pillows all the time. But...the loose cushions have the option of being able to simply change out the cores if needed but I get the impression that may not even ever happen. AAgh! I guess I need to bite the bullet and "take a leap of faith" like Duane says! If you have any further questions about my Miller/Journey recliner sittings let me know.

mcarey Guest

I am also looking for a sofa and recliner combo and have narrowed my choice to the Evening Sofa and possibly the Journey recliner. I have actually sat on the Journey Sofa and Journey recliner, and they are both very comfortable. (I am 5'4" and my husband is about 6') IMO the Journey sofa looks too massive; however, the Journey recliner appears to be just the right size and might work well with the Evening Sofa. I have not been able to find the Evening Sofa, but Duane has very kindly ordered one so that I could check it out and it's due to arrive sometime around Christmas. Good luck with your sofa and recliner search!

greenmoser Guest

Thanks so much for your thoughts on the Journey sofa. My husband prefers the look of the Evening so I think we're changing back to that!

Bean Guest

You mentioned the pros and cons to the different types of back cushions. I've been looking at tight back styles - what could go wrong with a tight back that would require the cushion to be fixed (and having the cover removed)? I'm looking to keep the piece I buy for a long time - once the leather has seen it's better days, I may recover in fabric.

Tight backs don't need much attention at all. Pretty much maintenance free and not very fussy.

Usually when the leather is done (25 or more years) the whole piece is done, or not worth restoring (new springs, new cores, retied-deck, wood touched up). It costs the price of new to bring it back. Like fully restoring say a 1985 BMW 528i with 300,000 miles on it. Just too used up to make financial sense on a non-collectible item.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.