Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions..

Default Decisions, decisions..

As many of you are doing (or have done) I'm shopping for a new sofa and recliner.

I'm wondering if anyone out there owns any of the pieces I'm considering and is willing to give feedback, good or bad.

Both pieces will be Hancock & Moore.

I'm almost certain I'm going to choose the Evening sofa, but the other 2 choices are the September and the Kodiak.

The recliner is a bit harder for me, so if anyone has one, please chime in!

Harbison, Abbott, Campbell are a few I'm considering. If you have a different model that you think is the best, I'm all ears too..

Thanks for your help everyone!

Rob

Default Re: Decisions, decisions..

H&M Evening/September/Kodiak. All popular sellers and they all sit well. Among those three I'd say pick the style you like best, because they will not sit all that much different in my opinion.

On the recliners, my fav is still the # 1044 Sadler. The Harbison has a HUGE, 1-piece back cushion on it, and that will 'wrinkle' from some leather stretching over time, so if you don't like that look, skip that one. The others are good picks (but not as good as the Sadler!)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane, was thinking that there probably wasn't a significant difference in the way the sofas sit when you're talking such top of the line choices. I like the fact that the evening has a slightly curved back profile, gives it some character. And also the fact that it's so long - 69" inside - Plenty of room to stretch out fully.

I love everything about the sadler except the footrest when it reclines. It looks a little small in proportion to the rest of the chair to me. I hope I don't sacrifice too much comfort for looks..

1 more question - What is the major difference between a bustleback vs. a regular back? Is it mainly looks?

Thanks SO much!!!

Ahh...but the Sadler has a tuck-under extension! Here's photos of my well-used # 1044 I have in my home (Kipling Whiskey) that shows the extension.

Bustle Backs are all about the comfort. Nothing really beats them as they have the dual pillow backs to sit back upon. Flat panel recliners can't hold a candle to them and then there is the leather stretch pocketing issue as they age. Button Tufted backs are much better than flat panel backs in this regard as well and are a good second choice to a bustle back style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0067.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0068.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0069.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	690  
    Duane Collie

sammysmoon Guest

I too am shopping for a H&M sofa. I am only 5'1" tall and my husband and son are about 5'9" tall. I need a sofa that does not sit too deep or cushions that don't pitch too far back. I cannot go anymore than 86"wide. I have seen the September in person but also wanted to get your opinion on the Austin 8234NB, the Downes 1847 or the City 9840. Also, regarding the leather I saw samples of the Document saddle and sable but if I read your posts correctly you recommend some others over these. I would like something in that general color range. What do you consider to be the Most "bullet proof" leather? I have 3 cats. They do not have front claws but still have backs. I want the best protected leather. Would you be able to give me any pricing on these sofas in a grade 1 and 2 protected leather? Thank You.
    My other question is that someone else also recommended a Bradington-Young 674 Hartford sofa. Do you know anything about it? How do the finished B-Y leathers compare to H&M protected leathers? I really appreciate your assistance.

I hate to tell you this, but what will fit you at 5' 1" so that your feet will touch the floor is almost non-existent. I have a couple of Leathercraft recliners that are designed for petite women but that's all that comes readily to mind. Sometimes we can take an existing sofa and lower the seat height by an inch or so without having to rebuild the entire frame (I have a H&M Parisian getting delivered this weekend that we did a 1" drop on for these same reasons).

The September is a medium to large sofa, you may not like it because of size. 8234 Austin I've not had real good luck with - back pitch and large single cushions that stretch and pocket over time. 1847 Downes is good. I think you would like that. The City 9840 likewise, its not overly large.

Any of the Protected leathers with a 2 Serviceability will give you the same overall protection (which are not claw-proof, btw). Protected leather means resistance against spills and stains. The best is Antelope, a class 3 hide. Equestrian is another class 3 that is thick and sturdy - it feels like saddle leather and will make some noise (squeaks). I also like Fenway, a class 2. In class 1, only Columbia.

Sample pricing:

1847 Downes:

Grade 1: $ 3,045
    Grade 2: $ 3,577
    Grade 3: $ 3,934

9840 City Sofa:

Town and Country Cavalier Henna or Mocha: $ 2,099 M/C
    Class 1: $ 2,765
    Class 2: $ 3,262
    Class 3: $ 3,612

Leather is Leather. As long as its top grain, its all very similar from various makers. Some even use the same leather supplier and just rename it to suit them.
    Duane Collie

Hey Duane - I see the Evening listed in the table of contents for the T&C program, but don't see a pic anywhere in the sticy thread. Can you tell me what they are pairing with the Evening?

Evening sofa is not on T&C in leather, only in fabric as the model # 1514
    Duane Collie

ahh ok, thanks!

sammysmoon Guest

Cool Re: Decisions, decisions..

Thanks Duane. I had to laugh... Trust me I would love to have longer legs but I have to work with what I got. You know they say that good things come in small packages, right? Anyway, Thanks for the suggestions and pricing. I went to the H&M website and looked at the swatches for Antelope and Columbia. I see a few colors that might work. Have you seen either the Antelope Rust or Antelope saddle made up? Is one much redder than the other? I do like the look of the Downes sofa. Have you seen one in person? I do plan on having some type of a cocktail ottoman as well. I guess I can just rest my stubby legs on that. Do you think the Downes is the better choice between the City and the Downes?
    Also, do you have any opinion on the Bradington Young 674 Hartford sofa? I am still trying to make a comparison. Thanks very much.