Thread: Shipping cost for a multi piece H&M order

Default Shipping cost for a multi piece H&M order

I am contemplating ordering a Hancock & Moore Sofa, Love Seat and 2 chairs. I assume they will wait for all 4 to be completed before shipping. Is this correct?

Will the White Glove delivery service charge me as if they delivered each piece separately (I pay for 4 separate deliveries) or will I be charged customary fees for the first piece and discounted fees for the other 3 pieces?

Any ballpark idea of what the shipping would be on a Sofa, Love Seat and two chairs?

Default Re: Shipping cost for a multi piece H&M order

We generally do all pieces in an order at one time, if they are to be in the same dye lot and you want the best overall shipping costs.

White Glove deliveries are calculated by weight and distance. The industry generally uses standardized weights, a sofa is 225 lb, loveseat 175 lb and a chair 100 lb So you have 600lb. You don't give a zip code but I see Washington State on your member info, so let's use Seattle 98101.

Sun Delivery / America West quotes for 600lb to 98101 : $ 1,534

Now, that is the rate for today, January 28th, 2021. Rates are reset every month so the quote from January may not be the same as the actual rate in April when your order is ready, which is why I say on every order that the costs may vary. Also, that 225lb standardized weight on a sofa is likely to not be applicable on a dual power recliner sofa which is 375lb. It they actually weigh the load (sometimes they do) then your rate will be higher by 150 lb on that sofa.

The lowest possible shipping cost is to use a specialized freight carrier that can deliver to a commercial loading dock or space. Then it gets there twice as fast for half the price. But re-read that bold text. Commercial doesn't mean the real estate business you run out of your home or the dental office you may work out of. These are 54' 18-wheelers that have your order in the factory boxes and they need a huge space and a dock to get them off the truck. Some people try some trickery and say "They will never know", but guess what happens? The Dispatcher will always look up the address on Google Maps and look at the Street View to see the property. If it's not a commercial loading dock, I get a phone call and they say "We won't deliver there, what do you want us to do with this load?" And that creates all sorts of problems. If you want to use this method and have no space to unload, most Moving and Storage companies will accept the delivery for a fee - that's up to you to investigate and arrange on your own.

Note too, that I get no commision, discount or kickback from any carrier or delivery service. This is a separate third party transaction that I am not involved in other than to suggest companies I am comfortable recommending. I am not an agent for any of them, or represent any shipper in any way. This is important to note, because is there is an issue I get the phone call and am expected to do something - when in fact you will be paying the delivery service directly as a separate transaction and your contact point and contract is with them, and issues are to be resolved with them as well. You are welcome to select any shipper you like, or delivery service you want to use.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-28-2021 at 11:13 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane. Good to know. I assume the White Glove Delivery will place the pieces in the desired room. Will they also move the current pieces in that room to the garage? Can that be negotiated with the company at the time I pay for shipping? Or is it better to arrange that locally prior to delivery?

One last thing. Let's say of the 4 pieces, one is damaged. I should not accept it and have them put it back on the truck correct? But should I still sign the bill of lading after I write down which piece was rejected and why?

I can't speak for any delivery company for what they may or may not move out of a room. Generally no, don't expect them to move existing furniture.

Never - Ever - send back good pieces. Only damages get returned.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.