Thread: Swivel chairs - not that many options in H&M

crouch Guest

Default Swivel chairs - not that many options in H&M

Duane,

It looks like I've settled on the September sofa (likely in Document Copper since that's the T&C leather) and probably will pair it with an Austin High Back Tilt Back chair and ottoman (T&C; color to be determined).

Due to the configuration of our family room, we need a swivel chair to flank the other side of the sofa. I don't see much in the H&M swivel line that would go with the September/Austin combo and be comfortable. Maybe only the Author Swivel?

Any thoughts on the Author particularly as to comfort? Also, I see the Author Chair is in the T&C program but apparently not the Author Swivel? It seems they are identical except for the base - can the Swivel be ordered through the T&C program? If not, can you give me a price on a Swivel in a Class II leather?

Apart from the H&M choices, can you think of swivels from other mfgrs that are comfortable and would go well with the September/Austin?

Thanks again.

Default Re: Swivel chairs - not that many options in H&M

H&M doesn't offer a lot of swivel chairs I think because they own Jessica Charles, and JC is the undisputed king of swivel chairs. Take a look there (you will notice the H&M and JC websites have the same 'feel' to them. We can put any H&M cover (leather or fabric) on JC products and vice versa.

http://www.jessicacharles.com/catego...?categoryid=SR

The Author chair is great, but its a BIG boy. You need a lot of room for that chair. Normally you cannot get a swivel base on that chair and stay in Town and Country, but let me make a call and see if there is anything I can do on it to keep it in the program. There would be an upcharge for the swivel base if we can make it work.

With a Swivel base, it becomes a # 4691-S and prices at $ 2,072 in class 2 leather.

In Town and Country it comes in Weston Cane Burnished (a class 3 leather) and is priced at $ 1,917.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Odd I/O Guest

There's a thread (with pictures!) of the author chair here:http://myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=894

The leather looks really nice for that chair. And it's in the town and country promotion as well.

crouch Guest

Thanks for both replies.

Please let me know on the Author Swivel potentially being put through the T&C program.

How do you choose complimentary colors of leather among these pieces?
    If I go with Document Copper for the sofa, would the Weston Cane Burnished for the swivel look good? What color leather in the T&C would you suggest for the Austin High Back?

The chairs essentially will flank either side of the sofa, slightly offset.

Is the idea to go with another earth tone brownish color, but maybe a few steps away (lighter?) than the Document Copper? Would you try to match the two flanking chairs? We have no design sense and would hate to end up with clashing colors.

Weston Cane Burnished will blow the Document Copper out of the water! All brown tones will match, but your leather types and effects will vary. Document looks (and is) an imitation of a hand-burnished leather with the effects built into the hide. The Weston is a true hand-burnished leather and it will make the Document piece look a bit cheap next to it. That's the honest answer.

My name is Duane Collie and I'm a Leather Snob.

I don't really like processed leathers and will be the first to tell you that I'm getting WORSE about it, not better! Document is highly processed. So yes, you get the good price on it in T&C, its perfectly serviceable and long lasting (H&M sells lots of it), but IMHO it will never show nicely next to a hand-burnished leather. This is not to say they won't work together, but your eyes are always going to go the Author chair when you walk into the room.

Document = a Chocolate Chip Cookie
    Weston Cane Burnished = a slice of Black Forest Cake

Which has the most visual appeal at the dessert table?

So, one of the decisions you have to make is are we working with STYLE or are we working to a BUDGET? The two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

If I'm going Budget, the September in the Document Copper and the Austins in either Cavalier Oxblood or Cavalier Dark Blue. The Author Swivel I would then do in Colombia Butternut, grade 1, or if you wanted to go into a grade 2 hide, Milan Saddle (dark brown).

If Style, then the Author in Weston Cane Burnished, the Sofa in Garfield Chestnut, and the Austin High Backs in Garfield Claret or Fenway Claret (reds).

Just some ideas!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.