Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid hits home

Default Covid hits home

We hear about Covid on the new every night, and today I agreed to admit my Mother to Hospice upon advice from her physician. She contacted it at the Assisted Living Facility she has been in. It's difficult - a very odd feeling - when you can't go see them. You hear about it daily in the news, but when it happens to you, then you really get an understanding what it's all about, that you can't go to the hospital this time and can't even say goodbye.

She founded this store (The Keeping Room) as an antique shop in 1979 and it has evolved to what it is today under my direction, but it all started with her. She was not a very good businessperson, more interesting in making new friends and visiting than making a profit, and had no clue what a gross profit margin was. A lot of people knew my mother Lucy, but probably few here on the forum, most those customers have moved on. She made it to 94 years old, so she had a good run.

My phone is ringing constantly from nurses, relatives, hospice, the assisted living facility and so on. Please excuse me if I am slow to respond to your requests. A lot going on and of course I'm distracted by it all as I am sure anyone would be, plus I will have the store closed all day Saturday as I have clean out her Assisted Living Apartment, where the clock keeps ticking at $ 300 a day.

Thanks Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Covid hits home

Duane,
    Not much to say except prayers for you and your Mom. No reply needed, take care of yourself the best you can and stay strong.

Duane I am so sorry both you and your Mom are going through this. Every area is different, but here although there are no visitors as a general rule, the hospital makes the only exception for people on Hospice, just one visitor at a time. I hope they reconsider and let you say good bye. Also, we have an ipad that we can use to let family members face time with their loved one. I just did that last week between a patient in the hospital with COVID and her husband in a skilled nursing facility. You don't say where your Mom is right now, but you might ask about that. The other thing you could do is drop off a ipad if you have one for them to use to face time with her and then go pick it up. I would not leave it there for any length of time but I know the couple that I did this for, it was arranged by a social worker at the facility.

I will be thinking of you.

So sorry to hear of your difficult times. My prayers are with you and your family. Take care of yourself. Family first!

Duane, I am sorry to hear of this news. We just lost my brother-in-law on Monday to this horrible virus. I understand how you feel as it "hits home" - interesting story on your mom and the Keeping Room, thanks for sharing. I wish you peace during this time.

Sorry to hear it Duane. I am sure she is proud of what you turned her business into.

Duane,

I'm just so very sorry.

TXCajun

I am so very sorry, Duane.

Thanks all. She is still alive, but barely. I was back at my mother's assisted living facility this afternoon (closed the store early) and my wife and I cleared the bulk of her stuff from her apartment. I took my store Ford Transit 250 as its more maneuverable than my larger Isuzu delivery truck. We had just finished and my wife went home in her SUV, and I took I-95 back to the warehouse to unload her stuff. 1/2 mile from the exit, the traffic was stopped and I was hit from behind about 40 mph, which shoved the Transit into two other vehicles in front of mine. Four car pile-up that took an hour and 15 minutes to clear. My truck is totalled and I can't get the stuff we cleared out unloaded from it, the doors are all jammed and the truck is not driveable. Cherry on top, my wife had a flat tire on the way home.

Been a rough day, can't catch a break.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4469.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	13677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4478.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	13678
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

WOW, Hope you are OK and don't have any delayed effects from it! What a difficult time you are having. I hope things at least go smoother from here.