Thread: H and M Traditional Leather Club Chairs

Default H and M Traditional Leather Club Chairs

Love the look of the H an M club chairs- especially the member chair or the Doyle chair, and realize that they are the gold standard in quality of construction and leather, but of course this has a significant price tag. Having waited many years to buy furniture, we have quite a long list, so just want to know if any other brands come close. We want to support US manufacturing and craftsman, and if nothing else comes close to H and M, then we will sell off the family silver.....so, are there really any other contenders? I have read about Bradington Young, but concerned about some recent loss in quality.
    And anyone who posts here and has one of these club chairs, please let me know how amazing they are to sit in!

Default Re: H and M Traditional Leather Club Chairs

There is not a loss in quality from B-Y, over the years, if anything I think they are improving their product from years past. It's good, solid furniture that is well-made. But its not Hancock and Moore, either, which is the gold standard for the industry. That's why Century bought H&M when the company because available, for years they tried to match them but couldn't - so they jumped at that opportunity. It's also why the largest store chair buying Hancock and Moore is Stickley furniture. Isn't that odd, that a furniture maker would sell another brand in its company stores? But they they are the single largest dealer if you count multiple store locations. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em or buy 'em.

The average shopper can't tell differences until I point them out, but in my experience once they see them they will buy H&M over B-Y for the most part. What rarely works however, is when one of my Hancock and Moore buyers decides to buy Bradington Young to economize, say for a media room project or second home. They usually are not happy with the buy, because they got used to the H&M build and quality.

Keep in mind too, if you think they are expensive now, wait until you see the pricing on the 15th of Feb.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: H and M Traditional Leather Club Chairs

Thanks so much for the clarification. I am going to read your previous posts about deadlines now!!