Duane,

Please don't retire! Ok, as much as we do need your expertise, you retire when you want. You've earned that!

Texans certainly have had a rough go with this winter storm and the power grid issues. Other than north Texas, we really aren't used to extended periods of ice and snow. And, by extended I mean more than a couple of days. Heading toward a week and that's significant for us. Yep, we do see some winters with a bit of snow, sleet, and sometimes have issues with getting around on icy roads. This kind of winter storm event isn't "unprecedented", but it is rare for us. We are used to dealing with 115 degree summer days, but not this.

My area just came back online with uninterrupted power for almost 24 hours, now! Other areas remain with either periods of scheduled blackouts or absolutely no power since this started. Some have no water because of either the rolling blackouts messing up the water plant mechanics or the freezing water lines/plumbing.

My sister lives in Louisiana and they (her area) are having the same problems with power and water. Her power has been restored after three days of no power and then rolling blackouts, but they have been told not to expect restoration of water until this coming Saturday. For some reason, these things happening in Louisiana aren't making the news like Texas. Maybe it has to do with the population size? Maybe it has to do with ugly politics?

This has been very bad for many, many Texans and absolutely tragic for others. Everybody is doing the best they can to help themselves and others. We'll figure out how to manage better for a next time, no doubt.

TXCajun